Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What have you done?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What have you done?

If I were to travel and pay to hunt whitetails somewhere else it would be, as others have stated, the chance to hunt different terrain and a "different" whitetail. In all likelyhood though, if I were to travel and pay to hunt something, it would be an animal that is unavailable to me at home (Elk, Moose, Muledeer, Pronghorn, etc.) plus the chance to hunt different terrain.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Others spend weeks in third world countries where the language is foreign and the water toxic. To each their own.[:-]

For me the great Rockey mountains hold far more intrigue than typhoons and drug lords.
Ahhhhh......the king of the attack ad hominem. Thanks for the "input", Jim

I'm traveling to IL this year with friends. It has NOTHING to do with my ego.
I believe that, too, Rob. Hell you've been HERE to hunt....lol.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, but first I need to say to AF Hunter, with all due respect, my reasons for hunting in Alberta have nothing to do with my "ego". I'm more than happy with my accomplishments as a bowhunter in Pa at thispoint in my life. I'm just seeking a giant buck that I don't think I'll kill in Pa.
Back to the original thread. Ihunt with a guide in the Edmonton Bow Zone in Alberta because as a nonresident,you MUST be guided to hunt in almost all of Canada, it's the law (as I've said before). I also go up there because it's a beautiful country ( big scenery change) with vast farm lands that can not be accessed except with the help of a guide, as it's virtually all private land in the Bow Zone.
This region is famous for it's huge bucks and very low hunting pressure. In my 3 years of hunting there so far, I've NEVER seen another hunter while in the woods, ever! I like that. I also have to say almost every buck I've seen there was a mature buck. Ilike that too.
As far as being "placed" on a stand, I don't have a problem with that because that's the way my guide does things on his properties. I'd preferto set myself up but I don't want to "guide my guide".He does know the area like I'll never know it, so I have confidence in his decision making. This is also an area I've wanted to hunt for a lot of years, so now I'm doing it. You only have one go around. I guess that covers it.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm just seeking a giant buck that I don't think I'll kill in Pa.
Nothing wrong with that, EI.....goo luck.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: AF Hunter

GMMAT, I truly believe it is an ego thing. "Look at this monster I shot in Illinois!", "Yeah, last year I took all my execs to Kansas and the first morning over the feeder I nailed this beauty as he stood there lapping up corn!". ETC.

On the other hand, there are those who do it for the friendship and I don't begrudge that.
I don't agree with this, there may be some who would spend a great deal of time and money to impress their friends, but I've never met any.

The reason that I would travel to another area to hunt is for many reasons. To see different places, different people, geography etc. I will go to Canada some day to try for a giant buck. The reason for this is because I'm so into whitetails that I just have to see a buck up close and in person, that weighs almost 100 pounds more than some of the 220 pounders I've taken where I live. It's all about my personal satisfaction, not what others might think.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Others spend weeks in third world countries where the language is foreign and the water toxic. To each their own.[:-]

For me the great Rockey mountains hold far more intrigue than typhoons and drug lords.
Ahhhhh......the king of the attack ad hominem. Thanks for the "input", Jim
Are you not the one the boasted about traveling to our southern neighbors during this springs turkey season?

Your priorities and mine differ greatly. My families well being surpasses every thing else.I'm am forced to travel to Mexico for work,for recreation I can do better.Giving them third world status is very gracious on my part.
I respect my loved ones far to much to take them to a place where wealth is measured by the number of female off spring you have.[]

Yellowstone better suits my needs,and English is still spoken there.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you not the one the boasted about traveling to our southern neighbors during this springs turkey season?

Your priorities and mine differ greatly. My families well being surpasses every thing else.I'm am forced to travel to Mexico for work,for recreation I can do better.Giving them third world status is very gracious on my part.
I respect my loved ones far to much to take them to a place where wealth is measured by the number of female off spring you have.[]

Yellowstone better suits my needs,and English is still spoken there.
Yeah bit the difference is Jim....I didn't make fun of you OR your destinations. I think you'd find that the end destiantions I travel to look anything but "third-world".

So back on point.......if you travel to other states/countries to hunt whitetails....I'd like to hear "why".
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I traveled to Ontario last year and we got hosed big time. Completely midlead by the outfitter, so that left a real bad taste for our group. Canada had been something I was dreaming about since I was a little kid. I now live in IL, so we have plenty of giants here, but the lore of canada lured us for a long time. With that said, I grew hunting the U.P. of Michigan, where a 115" is big. A 140" back home will be the greatest trophy of my hunting career, barring a 200" in IL, but I still think I would cherish that 140" more. It is a posibility that it will happen as antler restrictions have gone into place.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

If I ever shoot a buck in Illinois, it will be one that I am proud of and that I have earned through hard work, hours on the stand, perserverance, and passing up the bucks that just don't make for the total experience. I will be proud of it. No one else needs to be. And that would be 'what I have done'.

I go to Illinois (this year will be my third year):

1) Because I wanted a hunting vacation, away from places I normally go and away from the 3 month rifle season and highly pressured deer you typically get in GA.
2) Illinois is a great place for archery hunters and to have an opportunity at quality animals.
3) I have a great group of friends that makes the experience ever better.
4) I have great DIY property. I prefer that, but would use a guide if it were required or necessary.
5) I am a whitetail addict. Elk, mule deer, bear, etc. just doesn't do it for me.
6) It's a close enough drive from GA that I can take all my gear with me and do some year-round scouting.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We spend $5-$6K traveling every year. We just don't go to whitetail destinations.
I think you need to adopt me "daddy". lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.