Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rare deer

Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rare deer

I saw an albino this nice one time. Anyone ever hear of a black deer?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rare deer

Salt N Pepper
Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Melanistic: Melanistic deer are very dark sometimes even black. Melanism results from overproduction of pigment and is less common than albinism. Hunters see dark deer with some frequency but to actually see a Melanistic deer is rare.

Along time ago, sometime in the late 80's my uncle was hunting for a week in the George Washington National Forest (NW mountains of VA) and in 4 days killed 2 albino bucks. He had them hanging out beside his camper when someone stole them. I did see the pictures of them gutted and hanging.

Two nights later, about 2 in the morning they hear a gunsgot, and heard the rangers had arrested two poachers spotlighting deer, and when they seized their truck and stuff, there were two albino hides in the truck.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:16 AM

ive seen that picture before in a magazine called weird whittails
Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

i saw the black one in north american whitetail magazine about six months or so ago
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never seen a Melanistic (black) buck in real life but I have seen several albino and white bucks. I've also seen several piebalds. (some white deer are not albinos).
Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wonder why the tail on the black deer is white and not black. shooting one of those two deer would be the only why i could justify getting a fullbody mount.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think I would be that 'suprised' if i saw a nice total albino buck....but the coal black deer??? I don't know if I would trust my sanity enough to actually take a shot at such a thing if I saw it appear out of no where in the woods. Is that a deer??? What the %*^$ is that???
I saw a pic someone had on this site of a melanistic eastern turkey...reddish phase very pretty.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Fork Horn

I really can not belive that there are still states , and areas that deer like these are protected (prohibited) from being legaly taken. But that is the case. strange but true..........
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love to see one of the blaack ones

Quick Reply: Rare deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.