Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montana decoys--your experiences with them?

Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana decoys--your experiences with them?

I am considering using a decoy for the first time this year. What are your experiences with montana decoys? It is the only one I am considering due to the distances I have to walk to get set-up to hunt. I don't want to carry anything else. Do you have to set these things up pushed back to a natural barrier so that deer cannot get a side view, thereby spooking? Thanks for any hints or tips on how to use a montana decoy or even if they are effective or not.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana decoys--your experiences with them?

ttt for a thumbs up, down, or middle finger for montana decoy useage....
Old 07-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one. I use it sometimes when I call.I like mine. I like to use the front leg only then it spins a little in the breeze. I will shove in a few sticks to keep it from spinning all the way around. BTW, I have the doe.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks magic....do you position it downwind, looking to get a quartering away shot? How do you position yours in terms of terrain, bedding areas, fields?...thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt by fields. There aren't any crops where I hunt. I try to position it so the buck will give me a shot as he attempts to circle down wind. Since it's flat I try to put it broadside to where the deer will come from so they can see it.

That damn decoy got me on more than one occation. It looks so lifelike that if you forget you have it out and see it, itstartles you. I had two big ones come in one time. they just stood there forever looking at the decoy.I heard them fight before they appeared. They seemed confused by it. The big 10 stood 50 yds out and just staredat it. the 8 pointer circled to within 20 yds. I ended up getting a longer shot on the 8 but misjudged and shot just over his back[&o]
Old 07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

I've been wondering about these myself. Hope you get some more input.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

That looks a lot like the RENZO decoy?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

I've hada Renzo for a couple years but have not used it much.I remember one time i was hunting off the ground andwent chasing after a flockof turkeys to break them up for the next day. I turned around and froze when i saw the decoy forgetting that i had even put it out. I'm sure at times they would work but i doubt i'll use mine very often.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be using one a bit this year. Last year, my brother used one extensively through the rut. He didnt have any deer scared by the 2D, they only seemed confused when circling. It seemed to work relatively well on crusing bucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My experience / belief is that a 3D decoy is best when set in place.....but if I was stalking/decoying, I like the idea of the easy fold up, realistic image etc....I can also always show a broadside to the animal I'm hunting, I've used some 2D decoys before and they get attention but once the deer came to the side and saw it paper thin they spooked, or were weary.

So for stalking, it would be my choice.....if leaving in place, I'd pick a 3D decoy instead.

Quick Reply: Montana decoys--your experiences with them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.