Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

VABowman, Virginiashadow, and swampcollie

Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default VABowman, Virginiashadow, and swampcollie

Today we (JoeyG) had a great day scouting the stands I already have in place, as well as walking the property lines and checking a camera...lost another one to some fricking thiefs. Anyway we saw where good stand opportunities are, and lucked out as Joey knows an adjoining landowner, and we are confident we can add another 60 acres of bedding areas to the 180 I have that borders it. Joey showed me a picture of a buck taken out last muzzy season, not 500 yards from where I was hunting. With these two areas combined we have the areas locked up from the road to deep within the hardwoods.

I showed him two of the three lease properties, and gave him the opportunity to pick a tree or two (as long as Im not hanging mine there already)

I still have another 160 plus acres I havent stepped foot on this year, so get your acts together and set up a date to get together.

Brett, I understand your situation with wife expecting in 3 weeks, so i will keep them away from an area I saving for you.

The clover is coming in good, if i can cut it a couple more times to eliminate the weeds, we will have a great food source for the winter. The alfalfa plot is doing mediocre but I have a feeling that we can fix that with the next rain. But the two tier stand is still uncomplete (over looking last years rub line of a beauty of an 8 pt.)

Landon, I know your situation too, and trust me with my4 yr old, I just set her DVD player up in the truck and put in a scooby doo flick or some spongebob, leave the truck running with the ac on, park the truck next to where Im working...and life is good. There is room in the cab of the truck for a few more youngsters and they can all watch some movies while we hang a stand or two.

I have bushhogged truck access all around the perimeter so if I need to put in4 wheel drive I will to get us closer to where we need to hang.

Andy,You just need to make your mind up of when you are coming. Im flying out to Atlanta to see a spot on 50 acres in the mountains (relatives land) on Wednesday and will return on Saturday.

Lets get it on guys...I want to get the stands up by the end of July and lock the gates until bowseason.

Call me or PM me with dates that we can all get together and get our trees figured out. I already have 3 set up, and hanging my hanger this week. I have one more ladder stand, so I will wait and give someone else a shot at getting a prime location.

How often do you get the opportunity to come onto private land, by invitation, and pick a location to hunt?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: VABowman, Virginiashadow, and swampcollie

Was that a camera you had stolen Jeff?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

viper- How are these guys stealing cameres, are they walking the woods at night waiting for a flash .Or do these guys know you hunt these woods sit back some where glassing you to see which way your going in the woods.I't sounds like you have alot of woods to hunt so how are these guys doing it .Imean walking in some ones woods trying to find cameres it seem it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

The last two cams that were stolen were in a piece of land that is frequented by neighboring hunters that do not like the idea of me having the lease on the properties. Each were on a trail that links two ag fields. The property has a dirt road access that is not chained or gated...yet, so the traffic into the area is not controlled.

I have concealed my cameras very well, so that they would not be seen by the average guy walking up the trail. Im guessing the flashes may give them away. They are the moultrie D40's with just a bungie cord that straps to the tree, so they are easily taken down. They could be kids coming in there late night drinking and going down the trail and just stealing them to be stealing them.

I have made new straps for my remaining cameras that have steel cord with padlock, and Im even investing in a camera to watch the main road going into this piece of property until I can get some posts in the ground for a chain to block the entrance.

My other pieces of land are gated with chain and padlock, and a bit harder to access without tresspassing through a well lit farmers barn area. I have had no problem with these.

Its been my fault for not securing them, but I would have never thought people were going back to this remote, rural, part of nowhere!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt, I will take you up on your offer soon my man! Thanks again for allowing me to come down. See what the other guys are doing and let me know. Again, I have days off during the week and I know Landon has the summer off, so how is a weekday? I work shift work and will not get another weekend off for 3 weeks. I have off next Thursday the 17th, and then the following Tues/Wed the 22nd and 23rd...how are those dates? I also fixed the dang brakes on my truck last night, not alot of fun since one of the bolts was almost frozen. Again, I REALLY appreciate you letting me come down, I hunt private land maybe .05% of the time so it would be nice to come down and hunt with you guys! I should be able to buy a new hang on stand by then so that would be nice. You can use it anytime once we hang it(of course you can, its your property!) The wife seemed like she was in round 13 of a 15 round fight today, tired and wiped out.