Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think your shop carries the right inventory?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do you think your shop carries the right inventory?

How often do you NOT find what you're looking for at your local pro shop?

Do you feel they've got an adequate handle on what's hot and trendy?

If not, are they willing to order the item in -- and are you willing to let them?

Most importantly... has anyone at the shop ASKED you what you'd like to see them carry?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you think your shop carries the right inventory?

How often do you NOT find what you're looking for at your local pro shop?
All the time.

Do you feel they've got an adequate handle on what's hot and trendy?
Yes and no.

If not, are they willing to order the item in -- and are you willing to let them?
Yes, I go behind the counter and get the part number from the catologueand write what I want in the order book. I am about the only one they let do this tho.

Most importantly... has anyone at the shop ASKED you what you'd like to see them carry?
yes, some times they listened and some times they didn't.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually what I cannot find in any shop, including the one I work at now, is older parts or something random.

Example... I'm going to go be a redneck and try and shoot some fish in another hour or so here. I have been trying to hook up an old recurve I have to accomodate a stabilizer mounted reel. I needed to drill a hole in the front of the bow and mount an adapter stud.... went to six places and couldn't find one... finally at the last place they gave me a Mathews rear stud insert and I took it and some JB Weld... it'll work just fine...

3Rivers has them... and if I'd thought far enough in advance I could have ordered one... but still.... that used to be a fairly common item.. but since trends have changed so much.... hard to come by anymore in most places. Some of the older shops might have one laying around in a droor somewhere.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

For the most part I would have to say yes they have a good inventory of the latest and greattest,and they would order me somthing if needed.The only problem I have is that I have found that each shop is loyal to certain drands that they carry,and I can see this with bows,but I can stop in one shop and they don't carry carbon express or any componets for cx,another shop won't have other brand name gear such as browning gold tip,but I guess this is because of the cost in trying to keep an inventory that would cover every brand,{which would be next ti impossible} to the restrants put on them by their supplier,such as I know bowtech will not let two shops within a certain distance of each other to both carry bowtechs.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

My pro shop (Lancaster Archery) is by no means "local"(one hour drive), but they have EVERYHING!
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg it's 50 miles, but it has EVERYTHING

Mathews
Bowtech
ROSS
Elite
Bear
Martin
PSE
Pearson

Every acc you can think of[8D]
Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM

My local pro shop is Gander Mtn, and their inventory is terrible IMO. They have alot of things, but alot of it is outdated. Not a variety of items either, they may have 40 sights, but only 20 each of two different sights.

The shop I use more often is about a 45 min drive and is based out of the back of a Grocery Store out in the boondocks. The guy has great prices (where I bought my last two bows) and can order just about anything you want for prices youd be hard pressed to find even online. He is a good friend of mine, but with gas prices topping $4/gal, I have resorted to nearly all online ordering for most of my purchases. Used and new items, alot of times from classifieds such as ArcheryTalk. I am becoming alot more self sufficient in working on my bows so I have less and less of a need to go to the proshop except to just BS with the locals.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Bartender

My shoptold me no dropawaystyle restwould fit on my 99 hoyt magnatec.
After talking with buckeye at the get together he informed me that indeed there are dropaways
that will fit my bow. I went back to the shop and told him my conversation then he stated that he does not have any that would fit
my bow. I didnt ask him to order one fearing he might not know what one would fit and that would go against
what he carrys. This shop is about a 25 minute drive for me and I have been dealing with him since the 80s'
Some new information has come to my attention today matter of fact and probably will not be dealing with him anymore.(The son)
I still want the father to do my arrows but that is about it. So I am going to look for a new shop in the area for my archery needs.
Sidenote also Buckeye mentioned my draw length was about 1 inch short.[:@] Thanks Bro!

He did offer to order lonewolf climbing sticks but I will wait until the B.P. hunting show in August.
I had to look back at your questions and they have not pretty much ever pushed anything new or old on me.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My local shop has a good selection. Granted they don't stock every product on the market but I know I can count on them in a pinch. They stay up on current bows, arrowsand accessories. They are not a good place for camo, treestands, etc. For that stuff I shop Gander Mountain, Cabelas or online.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:46 PM

My local shop has excellent products, workmanship, and the service is unbeatable! If they don't have it, they'll get it. My only complaint is that it's tough being a south-paw in this sport [:@]

Quick Reply: Do you think your shop carries the right inventory?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.