Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Metatarsal Gland

Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Metatarsal Gland

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I know we are primarily discussing buck tarsal glands and as I have mentioned I will use them as a drag or hang them as a lure,I always handle them with rubber gloves on,most often I poke a hole through them and attach string to them so I can use them as a drag.I do the same thing with doe's I kill.A doe tarsal drag on one boot and a buck tarsal on the other will depict a pretty attractive scenario to a rutting buck.It's free and it works better then any thing else going.
My dad has done this as well and its worked for him. Great ides tsoc!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Metatarsal Gland

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I think if you use them from a local buck it would be a good tactic.
Why do you say a local buck?
I think they might be more at ease coming to investigate a deer they know. I liken it to how you approach your neighbor vs. a total stranger. One from out of the area may work as well. a buck might get worked up wondering who is moving in on his area. This might work best during the rut.
That does make sense.
I'm not sure as for a MATURE buck it does though, during the RUT, they get so "nomadical," that I don't think it would make much difference. Bucks in general are MORE "nomadical," than does, which is part of why I use buck urine for a cover rather than doe urine. An unfamiliar doe scent is more likely to alert deer to the fact that something is "amiss," than an unfamiliar buck. Likewise, a MATURE buck may be more likely to "waste" his time coming to check out the scent of an unknown buck to him, to make sure that he exerts his "Dominance" over the "intruder." After watching deer come into where I'd dribbled some doe urine and then tense up and thwart around an area, I stopped using cover scents all together, but after reading and article summarizing what I typed above, I started instead using "BUCK" urine and got relatively good results from it.