Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind calling??

Old 07-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Blind calling??

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

6-8 pt walked in as if nothing had happened.
Dan.. don't leave me hanging.. was it a 6 or an 8 point?

LOL smart ass!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just messin' with ya.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

Just so you can sleep tonight, it was a7 pt 1.5 year old.[:-]
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only blind call at certain times, in certain area's.During the rut, I have called bucksin with the "Can"that I didn't know were around until theycame in. I have found that rattling antlers really only works where the buck to doe ratio is close. I NEVER rattle in Pa, at all. I don't even bring my "horns" into the woods in Pa.
I have had great success rattling in Alberta though. One time, 2 years ago, I saw a large lone deer about 100-150yrds away (snow on the ground), rattled my antlers briefly, hung them, and watched this deer come running straight towards me! It was awesome to watch.As it got closer,I could see it was a buck. A nice little wide racked 8pt, but I couldn't get a clear shot at him.[&o]
Old 07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have blind called with rattling and had decent success with it in Idaho.I have blind called with a can while hunting and have never had a response,although I have close friends that have had very positive experiences.With grunting,I can count on a couple of fingers the times I have done it blindly.I have grunted in bucks that I have seen from a distance or heard grunting but couldn't see.
If I jump deer while still hunting or on my way in to a stand,I immediately get on my grunt tube with a couple of soft grunt's.(I want the oh it's only Larry the little buck response).In Idaho where the ratio's are much better balanced I have called back countless deer that I have jumped,doe's and small bucks.Big bucks are not particularly curious in those type of situations unless you hit it just right and they are frothing with fury.
I know of some of the big buck killers who will not call to a target buck under any circumstances because of possibly educating them and having them use the area differently.I am going to grunt to a buck to try to draw them closer,I may do it very softly and escalate up a little but I am going to try.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have called up a BUNCH of deer blind calling especially in the midwest. When I say blind calling I am referring to rattling and or grunting or both and "can" calling.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Come on now Dukester, there's no reason to be that a way.....I read your "what if" situation, and even admitted it's nothing I've even HEARD of before. I'm most interested in hearing more about that one. Got a link to an article or anything?? Don't leave me hangin bud.....