Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind calling??

Old 07-11-2008, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Blind calling??

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

I can't remember the author of the article, but his strategy was to basically jump the deer out of their bedding areas and then call to them with a grunt or blowand to evenstomp on the ground to calm them and get them to think it was another deer that was entering their territory (calming them). Now this was applied to gun hunting, but the basic premise was that hearing what they thought was another deer would take them off alert and possibly get them curious.
We (my brothers and friends) don't intentionlly jump deer, but it happens if we are still hunting. One tactic that we have used with great success is to use a can and bleat at them. (This only works if they don't know it was a human that jumped them.) We turn the can over 3-4 times every 30 seconds or so for about 5-7 minutes. A LOT of times bucks will circle back to check it out. But, patience is a huge key, it takes them a bit to come back.....usually 5-15 minutes.

How about a doe bleat though? How many blind call with a doe bleat?
I also do this when I am hunting a very thick area or on the edge of a marsh where it is thick all around. It is very effective.

Now, as I admitted before, I know these things won't work everywhere....very few places to be exact. The areas I hunt up here get little pressure and the herd dynamics, buck to doe ratio, is very good. If I were hunting back home in WI, I would expect these tactics to work very few times.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm not so sure that blowing is an alarm thing anyway....I mean, I know it is, for THAT INDIVIDUAL deer........But I don't know how many times I've had a deer blow in my area, only to have more deer come through only minutes later.

Maybe I'm completely wrong in this, but I don't pay much attention to it either. I will say though, this is the first I've heard of the "stomp scent." That is quite intriguing.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

One morning I had a Doe that blew and stomped what seemed to be 100 times in the dark, although I know it was much, muchless.

I was ready to call it quits before it was even daylight. An hour and a half later a150's Buck came along and I arrowed him.

Glad I stuck around!

Dan
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I suppose I'm hoping that will make them go away without stomping. But I have no idea what this does to them.....nor does anyone else.
But their are some interesting theories by well respected behaviorists about what the stomping does.. and the whitetails communication through scent.

Its enough to make one think. And enough to cause me to move instantly if a deer does stomp.

But hey.. thats just me.

It was always my belief that deer stomp to try to get you to move.....trying to "spook" you so they can figure out exactly what you are.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have actually blown/snorted at a group (5) deer right at dark 20 yds from my stand to try and make them leave without alerting them as to a human being there. This did work, but not immediately. The deer started snorting/blowing back at me. They could not find me and would not move. Eventually they did move about 20yds more until they were out of my sight. Just to experiment, I continued to blow/snort as I worked my climber down the tree, gathered my equipment and walked 100yds to my house. They continued this the whole time. Weird.

LT
Old 07-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Bartender

Yep and once they snort they are warning everthing in the country and out of there within 5-10 seconds. Disclaimer:This is based on my own observations.
ORIGINAL: _Dan

I suppose I'm hoping that will make them go away without stomping. But I have no idea what this does to them.....nor does anyone else.
But their are some interesting theories by well respected behaviorists about what the stomping does.. and the whitetails communication through scent.

Its enough to make one think. And enough to cause me to move instantly if a deer does stomp.

But hey.. thats just me.

It was always my belief that deer stomp to try to get you to move.....trying to "spook" you so they can figure out exactly what you are.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

One morning I had a Doe that blew and stomped what seemed to be 100 times in the dark, although I know it was much, much less.

I was ready to call it quits before it was even daylight. An hour and a half later a 150's Buck came along and I arrowed him.

Glad I stuck around!
I'm guessing nobody read the "what if" in my original thread.

Lets not nit-pik gents.. every situation is different. I just stated an interesting theory.. and one I think has some viable truth. Deer do a great deal of communication with scent.

I hunt on the ground a great percent during the season.. I see first hand at eye level the difference between a stomp.. because a deer smells something odd and a stomp when a deers got you in its vision and knows you are there.

I personally have never had a deer come back into an area after the deer nailed me on the ground.. ever. The next sit.. sure.. but not right after.

So.. I think its an intriguing theory. But every situation is different than the last.. so.. who knows.. but its enough for me to leave the scene these days and not waste anymore time.

Deer know flight when danger is present.. not stand up and fight.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep and once they snort they are warning everthing in the country and out of there within 5-10 seconds.
This has been the case with me as well, more than once. Although the above post was about only one of many times that I have actually held a blowing/snorting conversation of sorts with a group of deer for at least 20 to 30 minutes.

LT
Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 PM

One morning I had a Doe that blew and stomped what seemed to be 100 times in the dark, although I know it was much, much less.

I was ready to call it quits before it was even daylight. An hour and a half later a 150's Buck came along and I arrowed him.

Glad I stuck around!
I'm guessing nobody read the "what if" in my original thread.

Lets not nit-pik gents.. every situation is different. I just stated an interesting theory.. and one I think has some viable truth. Deer do a great deal of communication with scent.

I hunt on the ground a great percent during the season.. I see first hand at eye level the difference between a stomp.. because a deer smells something odd and a stomp when a deers got you in its vision and knows you are there.

I personally have never had a deer come back into an area after the deer nailed me on the ground.. ever. The next sit.. sure.. but not right after.

So.. I think its an intriguing theory. But every situation is different than the last.. so.. who knows.. but its enough for me to leave the scene these days and not waste anymore time.

Deer no flight when danger is present.. not stand up and fight.
I agree, it is an intriguing theory.

This reminds me of a hunt in 2005 when I was on the ground. I had a doe with 2 fawns bust me. She was stomping for a while and then started blowing for what seemed like a few minutes.....then ran off. So, I was going to gather my stuff and move on....when, from the direction they ran, 2-3 minutes later a 6-8 pt walked in as if nothing had happened.

Strange.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

6-8 pt walked in as if nothing had happened.
Dan.. don't leave me hanging.. was it a 6 or an 8 point?

Quick Reply: Blind calling??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.