Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind calling??

Old 07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blind calling??

A blind man walks into a shop with his dog. He picks his dog up and starts swinging it around. The shop keeper asks what he is doing the blind man replies "just looking around!!!"
I got it the first time T.

But my grampa was blind so you offended me.[:@]

I'm just messin' with you.. but he really was blind.[:@]

Ahhhh.. I'm just messin' with you again.[8D]
Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Bartender

Im sending cole after you.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

but the basic premise was that hearing what they thought was another deer would take them off alert and possibly get them curious.
lol....just reminded me...

But what do you do when a deer blows at you in the dark?
If a Deer were to Blow at me as I was walking in to my stand I'd just ignore it. They blow at Turkeys, Coons, etc. I doubt it will affect my morning hunt anyway.

Dan
Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a Deer were to Blow at me as I was walking in to my stand I'd just ignore it. They blow at Turkeys, Coons, etc. I doubt it will affect my morning hunt anyway.
Did it stomp with its foot too. Chances are it did.

And what if (a big what if) that stomp released an odor that only whitetail could pick up on.. smell an odor that another deer left behind that signaled danger.

What if..??
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I hear that, it's usually *%^$!! But it's something I might try next time just to see what happens.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

It wasn't a trick question.

All I was gonna say is....I blow back best I can muster. Never heard anyone else say they did or didn't that I remember.....but I've just always done it. I do it as soon as I hear 'em blow.....

I suppose I'm hoping that will make them go away without stomping. But I have no idea what this does to them.....nor does anyone else.

Just a quirky thing.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose I'm hoping that will make them go away without stomping. But I have no idea what this does to them.....nor does anyone else.
But their are some interesting theories by well respected behaviorists about what the stomping does.. and the whitetails communication through scent.

Its enough to make one think. And enough to cause me to move instantly if a deer does stomp.

But hey.. thats just me.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I'm guessing by the time that they blow at you they've already seen you and it probably doesn't do any good to blow back at them. But hey what do I know....[8D]
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

But their are some interesting theories by well respected behaviorists about what the stomping does.. and the whitetails communication through scent.

Its enough to make one think. And enough to cause me to move instantly if a deer does stomp.
I think you may have misunderstood me, Duke.

I'm not disputing that they do this (emit "the scent"). Read too much to believe otherwise. I guess all I'm attempting to do is to get them to leave (which they were gonna do, anyways) without leaving "the scent" behind.

That way....I've only alerted the one deer (hopefully) and that spot isn't messed up for (____?____) long.

If I'm nowhere near my stand site for the day.....I don't make too big a fuss. I've even broken into a run when I spook 'em.....lol. I just don't wanna sound like a human if they can't see me and I can't see them. If they don't know what I am....maybe they'll think I'm a couple more deer (they encounter each other all the time in the woods) or something non-threatening.

But I'm a stooge.....[8D]

Jeff I'm guessing by the time that they blow at you they've already seen you and it probably doesn't do any good to blow back at them.
I guess I might be surprised at how well they see in total darkness....but I see a LOT of deer each year. My thinking is if they could peg me for a human.....they aren't gonna stand around and blow. They're gonna do that on the run.

I just don't think they can see me in the PITCH dark. I might be totally fooling myself.....but if they could....I'd think they'd bolt.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

But I'm a stooge.....
As am I.[&:]

Quick Reply: Blind calling??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.