Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blind calling??

Old 07-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blind calling??

I've been successful with blind calling, many times.

Grunting especially.

When I rattle, and then see a deer 30 min later, I can't help but think he was on his way there anyway.

I'm confident using "blind grunting".
Old 07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

How does anyone one know if blind calling spooks deer? We can't see the deer if were blind calling for crying out loud!! Blind calling has worked excellent for me, I've had better luck doing it like this then doing it when there in seeing distance.

95% of the time when your rattling your blind calling. It got me my booker last fall.

Better yet to many people are tooting on these calls when they shouldn't be or there making no sense when there using them.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's a POV not yet mentioned....

I don't think the actual sound of the call is gonna spook deer. Will it make an otherwise calm deer go on alert, though?

I suppose it's a two way street.....in that "maybe" you get a deer to respond that might not otherwise have ventured into your set. BUT....don't you also run the risk of that deer pegging you before you peg him?

I always wondered (when I used calls).....what was pegging me that normally wouldn't have. We've all heard it said that they can literally lick the exact location they heard the call coming from. Now....if he WAS gonna come by there.....does he? Does he wait and see from a distance what was making the call?

WHO knows? I mean....KNOWS?

The buck I grunted in from 100+yds away in PA, last fall......came in on a string. He got as close as 22yds....but never offered an ethical shot. I never drew. In that particular instance....I loved having the call.....but when he got close enough to tell there wasn't anything there......when there should be something there (what was making the noise?).....he spooked. I wonder how many do this from afar? I wonder how many hunters get pegged who never knew the buck was looking at him?

If I lived in a place with better herd dynamics....I'd employ one.....but I'd be real careful about it, too (as I'm sure the guys who use them, are).
Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Good point, Jeff, and that's actually what I meant by educating the deer. Let one bust a guy calling just ONCE, and it's game up.

We're talking about grunting and rattling alot, which is what we normally associate with blind calling. How about a doe bleat though? How many blind call with a doe bleat?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Bartender

Depending on the time of theseason if you do a deep typegrunt yes it will spook deer.
Ive had more success with a soft grunt or doe bleet.
I have to clarify the deep grunt and my reasoning. Most bucks dont want anything to do with mr
mature except another mr. mature. Sure some little guys might take a peak but most of the time
its mature on mature with the deep grunts especially during the rut.

T
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember the author of the article, but his strategy was to basically jump the deer out of their bedding areas and then call to them with a grunt or blowand to evenstomp on the ground to calm them and get them to think it was another deer that was entering their territory (calming them). Now this was applied to gun hunting, but the basic premise was that hearing what they thought was another deer would take them off alert and possibly get them curious.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Bartender

That might be Andrea from whitetail addictions.

T
Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're talking about grunting and rattling alot, which is what we normally associate with blind calling. How about a doe bleat though? How many blind call with a doe bleat?
If you've hunted with me before.. you know that about the only blind call I use is the doe bleat. Not that I blind call alot.. but I do often early in the season. Early season for me only.

Learned that lesson several years ago.

I will use the grunt.. but only if a buck has been sighted or I'm pretty darn sure one is bedded within earshot.

It's funny that the article came out.. I actually wrote a little field journal about fawns earlier in June and how exciting it can be to be in the woods listening to the vocals of whitetail during the summers fawning season.. but after the article was released a short time later.. I left it in my archives.. for now.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Bartender

Lets try again and I think mike is the only one that gets my humor

A blind man walks into a shop with his dog. He picks his dog up and starts swinging it around. The shop keeper asks what he is doing the blind man replies "just looking around!!!"

Old 07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

but the basic premise was that hearing what they thought was another deer would take them off alert and possibly get them curious.
lol....just reminded me...

But what do you do when a deer blows at you in the dark?

Quick Reply: Blind calling??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.