Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do You Use A Scent Box For Your Clothes?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do You Use A Scent Box For Your Clothes?

Mine all gets cleaned as needed and placed in a breathable duffle in my "man-room." Which is really just a storage room for ALL of my "MAN" stuff that I don't want getting scratched up, or overly dusty, or dog hair on it. I've never noticed any problems with my scent NOT being well disguised over the past 4+ yrs, so I don't see the need for ANOTHER TOTE around the house, but I do "box" up my various pairs of boots in one.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

After my clothes have been washed with non scented - no UV detergent, I throw them in a plastic garbage bag and tie it up, as not to get contaminated.
I keep my pants in 1 bag, undergarments (mostly thongs) and towels in another bag, and shirts/sweatshirts in another, etc..
Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Just a rubbermaid tote with a locking lid for me I also throw in some of the fresh earth sent wafers for good measure. I used to throw in some dry fall leaves once in awhile just to have a fresh woods odor to the box. Also my day pack and any cloth objects go in too.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

I am either one of the smartest or dumbest on this subject.

Been there done that with all these scent control products.

After many observations from the same stands, same wind direction and temp/humidity, I am 99.99% sure you can't beat a deer's nose,regardless of what precautions you take or don't take. It can decipher too many different smells simultaneously for you to mask or eliminate or to reduce to any level that is going to make a difference.

The observations you have experienced where you thought your products worked were most likely attributed to wind thermals or young deer.

If all this stuff was anywhere close to its PERCEIVED effectiveness, the drug trade would be using it for trafficking and drug sniffing dogs would be a thing of the past.

Concentrate on when to and when not to hunt a particular stand and how to come and go with leaving as little scent on ground/forage and forget about all this other.JMHO
Old 07-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer in most areas of the country have to learn to tolerate a certain amount ofhuman odor.

My goal in the past several years? Dilute my humanscent as much as possible through any method I can use and not add any other scents to me or my clothes.

It has worked very well. I had a few deer down wind last year and never had one bust out.

I guessthey smelled me, but thought I was on the next property upwind. I don't think you can fully hide your scent, but you most certainly can make it much weaker, and that is a Big Advantage in Bowhunting.

Sometime even an extra second or 2 is all it takes.

Dan
Old 07-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the GIANT Zip Lok bags. Put your camo in it, lay it on the floor, kneel on it pushing out all the air, zip it closed and you have a vacum seal.