Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pope And Young News Letter stats

Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pope And Young News Letter stats

The number of bowhunters in the states would be interesting to see along side this info. If a state has 1000000000000 monster bucks but only 1 bowhunter, the number would still be 1.
Also Hunters/huntable sq. mi...........

NO idea how many bowhunters we have.....but we killed 83,665 antlered bucks here in '07 (gun and bow). We killed 11,429 DEER via bow. Extrapolating from the total harvest (more bucks than does, AGAIN, BTW.....not including BB's).....we would have taken 1,600 total antlered bucks via archery tackle, total......in the entire state.

Without knowing the number of bowhunters we have, though.....you can't figure the odds of killing a "book" deer.

But using Pa's %-age.....let's say 1/3 of our state's hunters are bowhunters. So we have 100,000 bowhunters.......killing 1,600 antlered bucks. That would make your odds of success on an antlered buck at .016. Citing 10 for the number of "book" entries from our state, last year......Your odds of connecting on a "book" buck would then be .00001

In the eloquent words of one of them dumbass dumb and dumber guys.....

"So you're sayin' there's a chance!"
Old 07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The number of bowhunters in the states would be interesting to see along side this info. If a state has 1000000000000 monster bucks but only 1 bowhunter, the number would still be 1.
Also Hunters/huntable sq. mi...........

NO idea how many bowhunters we have.....but we killed 83,665 antlered bucks here in '07 (gun and bow). We killed 11,429 DEER via bow. Extrapolating from the total harvest (more bucks than does, AGAIN, BTW.....not including BB's).....we would have taken 1,600 total antlered bucks via archery tackle, total......in the entire state.

Without knowing the number of bowhunters we have, though.....you can't figure the odds of killing a "book" deer.

But using Pa's %-age.....let's say 1/3 of our state's hunters are bowhunters. So we have 100,000 bowhunters.......killing 1,600 antlered bucks. That would make your odds of success on an antlered buck at .016. Citing 10 for the number of "book" entries from our state, last year......Your odds of connecting on a "book" buck would then be .00001

In the eloquent words of one of them dumbass dumb and dumber guys.....

"So you're sayin' there's a chance!"
Those listed arenotfor theyear... Those entries are for the summer quarter.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Schultzy.A lot of work I am sure to compile this! To truly assess what someones chances are it would be necessary to take the number of P&Y qualifiers of a particular state and the number of archery hunters in a particular state to boil it down to the real deal from a liklihood perspective.
I would venture to guess that there are a few traditional big buck states where a 125 doesn't get a lot of attention and as a result is less apt to be entered.Factor in all the hunters who kill qualifiers and don't enter them and the numbers become even more skewed.
If you have 10,000 licensed archers killing 200 P&Y qualifiers versus 100,000 licensed archers killing 40 P&Y qualifiers,which state are your chances disproportionately higher in?
I know location doesn't matter!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

There's no telling the numbers that are not entered in the books ! Here where i live in Southeastern Oklahoma you would be surprised at the 140-160 class deer that are taken and not entered scored or even mounted ! I have seen rackes discarded in barns that would make your mouth water !
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always found stats to be meaningless really.

You can look at them from any angle and come up with an entirely new stance or stat that either helps ones argument and/or destroys someone else's.

Its like when your playing a sport and you have that guy on your team always wanting the score.. cause he just needs to know how much to relax his play or how much to give back in effort if he's down.

Just go out there for the W. Forget what that guy says and play.. and play hard. The whole game.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's something to look at, and thanks for putting it together Shultzy. But like has been said. There are tons of deer not entered that are eligible. And tons of nice deer that don't make it because of the SCREWED UP SCORING SYSTEM.

I know a guy who has a buck with 180" of antler on his head, killed with a bow, that will notnet a P & Y score. Not as a typical or a non-typical.

That just ain't right!!!![:'(]
Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

John... Would love to see a pic of that buck if you have one... Sounds like my kind of buck... All trashy
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like my kind of buck... All trashy
He said buck... not woman.

(oh i didn't just go there).
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKIEBOWHNTR

There's no telling the numbers that are not entered in the books ! Here where i live in Southeastern Oklahoma you would be surprised at the 140-160 class deer that are taken and not entered scored or even mounted ! I have seen rackes discarded in barns that would make your mouth water !
+1 I hunt in S.E. Oklahoma and I can verify that. I have seen guys hammer huge deer and they would never think to enter them. I'm sure the same can be said for lots of other states. Hunting is big in Wisconsin and everyone there may dream of entering a big buck in the books. However, where I hunt it is really just for local bragging rights.

Actually, I bet a lot of guys don't even know about pope and young where I hunt.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only30 for KY I've killed 7 in 11 yearsdamnI'm good
Seriously, not many bow hunters around here. Most of the bow hunters I meet are from out of state.Out of the ones that do get killed by localsabout 1 out of5are entered.

Quick Reply: Pope And Young News Letter stats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.