Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fleece as an outer garment.... Questions.....

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fleece as an outer garment.... Questions.....

Buckeye the fleecewill onlyprovide a silent outer layer with minimal insulating properties.Most clothing like this relies on the inner insulation for warmth.I use a 4 in 1 parka and a set of bibs both with low nap fleece outers.I wear the bibs and the zip out parka liner walking to my stand to keep me from sweating.When I am on stand I add the outer layer if needed.Ihunt the flat lands of Illinois where the wind also gets going real good and I have no problem staying warm in zero degree weather all day.This is the coat I use.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0005171931157a&navCount=4&podI d=0005171931157&parentId=cat601737&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat2071 2-cat601737&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat601737&hasJS=true
Old 07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Scott:

I hope I didn't mislead or give you the wrong idea about the fleece I wear.

When I mentioned it being good for most NC temps...I'll further explain. I get up most every weekend morning and ride the ATV over to my in-laws (mama in law makes awesome biscuits).

During the winter.....the fleece Patagonia and a long sleeve t-shirt or UA Coldgear underneath is the typical garb. It handles that well.

I'd be real interested in a camo fleece outer garment, myself....and MOST days, here....I could wear just what I described. I can't speak to your temps and what I'd have to wear, underneath, when on stand, though.

I know it's quiet....warm...and I'd love to have something to wear hunting (and not just "a" layer.

Peak.....I answered your question in the part you quoted!
Parka.
http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&User_ID=184392&st= 7768&st2=57366614&st3=-43714342&Product_ID=109&CATID=6

Pull over jacket.
http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=59&CATI D=6

Bibs.
http://ns1.bowsite.org/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=41&CATI D=7
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: mobow

Oh.....yeah I see that now. In that scenario, yes, you would freeze your acorns off.
Ok, if in that scenario the wind would push the warm air out that is on the backside of the fleece, why would it not push the warm air out between the fleece and the windblock?
Well, that IS logical. But, there's no real heat there to be blown out. The outer fleece layer is keeping heat IN, not absorbing it.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Oh.....yeah I see that now. In that scenario, yes, you would freeze your acorns off.
Ok, if in that scenario the wind would push the warm air out that is on the backside of the fleece, why would it not push the warm air out between the fleece and the windblock?
Well, that IS logical. But, there's no real heat there to be blown out. The outer fleece layer is keeping heat IN, not absorbing it.
I never implied that there washeat inside the "nap" of the fleece.... I said between the fleece and the windblock.... As in behind the fleece..... Not in the fleece.....

Mechdoc

Those are much the same thoughts as mine...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Scott...

I know it's not fleece (it's wool)....but have you ever thought about using this stuff? They make an assortment of garments......including bibs.

I've always liked the looks of it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0033630932572a&navCount=1&podI d=0033630932572&parentId=cat601740&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat4700 76-cat601740_TGP&catalogCode=QX&rid=&pare ntType=index&indexId=cat601740&hasJS=true
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have looked it over a couple times... It does look nice.

I have the berber fleece version of this stuff... The fleece is pretty warm, I wear it as a layer underneath my goretex.

My reservations withwool is the weight and poor packability of it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, shoot Cougar Mag a PM about the GWW wolfskin jacket he picked up last year lined with Liteloft... He said it was the cat's meow even after sitting in temps that would have driven him out of his stand previously...

From GWW's site:

3M's THL3 LiteLoft Insulation with Comformax.
If you're looking for warmth this is the combo to get! THL3 LiteLoft is a light weight insulation that is 40% warmer than the popular 200 gram Thinsulate and approx. 20% warmer than Ultra200, which is one of the premium insulations used by some companies. Combine this with the 27 oz. wool that we offer, and you're looking at a garment that is designed for the absolute coldest temperatures nature can throw at you. A minimum of layers is required underneath to stay warm for many hours sitting on stand. NOTE: The wool combined with this lining option is actually too warm for most hunters. Combined with the WolfSkin the Comformax LiteLoft lining gives you a very light in physical weight set of cold weather clothing that will be warmer than any other clothing manufactured on the market with the exception of the wool we offer with the same lining.

Important Feature
On all of our lined garments, the Stealth Fleece lining is not "quilted" to the Comformax or the Comformax LiteLoft. We take the Comformax or the Comformax LiteLoft, cut a piece of Stealth Fleece, and sew the two together along their edges. The result: The insulation maintains it's loft, for maximum effectiveness. This of course takes some additional time but the resulting improvement in quality and performance we think is worth it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://store.mossyoak.com/detail.aspx?ID=853

This should take you to the description of the rivers west jacket, they have the matching pants and vest also. No need to pack rain gear or worry about the weather turning inclement. There is a 10 year wind and waterproof guarantee.

This is a new generation of fleece that is textured. No need to worry about cockleburs or stickers, and this stuff is very quiet. Not to mention that it keeps the wind out and the warmth in.

The old style fleece would make a questionable over garmet, but this new stuff is the ticket.

You might want to look into the Sitka gear also. I have some first hand knowledge of the 90% pant and jacket. Though Sitka is not fleece, it has great properties for ALL types of weather as does the Rivers West.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scott, GWW Wolfskin is the way to go. I have mine lined with wind stop and layer underneath with UA and Fleece. It has worked Great for a few seasons now.

IMHO Fleece is a very poor outer layer. Works great underneath a Wind Stop layer though

Dan