Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fleece as an outer garment.... Questions.....

Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Fleece as an outer garment.... Questions.....

What temps are you talking Jeff?
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

What temps are you talking about and how long do you sit in the cold?
I know I went in before 5:00AM on the day I'm citing, here....and shot my buck at 8:15AM. I think I climbed down at 10:45 and got home around 11:15.

I went in EARLY, again. FOURTEEN degrees when my CHAMPION wife drove me to the entrance point of the woods and dropped me off
I can guarantee you I had a layer of fleece on that morning.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you only had on an under armor shirt andfleece pullover
I never said that. I said I can assure you I had on a layer of fleece. I did.
I took what you said in your last reply as that is what you were wearing that day....

I wear fleece as an inside insulating layer amost every day of bow season.....

I am just on a quest to find that "perfect" for me, to hot to wear on the walk to stand gear that I can pack in and put on at my tree and not have to worry about dressing in excessive bulky layers to stay warm....

My walks to stand are to far and I sweat to much when I have to many layers on, even if I pack inmy outer garments....

I want to trimmy layers on the cold days so I don't sweat as much on the way inand have a very warm outer layer toput on once I reach my destination.

The land here is very flat and the wind kicks some serious butt in the fall andwinter months here.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I only had a walk of about .5 mi......but I walked in with only a coldgear top on (up top).

I, too, dress when I get on stand. I climb with my gear in my seat......dress when I get to the right height and set up.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

ORIGINAL: mobow

What goodis the layer of fleece on the outside of the wind barrier actually doing in a cold wind as far as insulating for me?
Because wind or no wind, the fleece is still keeping in (insulating) your body heat.
If the wind is blowing thru the fleece......How would it not beblowing the warm air out on the other side of the fleece?

If you were to go outside in a cold wind with a fleece shirt on.... Would you feel the wind cutting thru it?

Would it (the wind) not take the warm air that was retained bewteen your skin and the fleece with it as it passes thru the garment?
No, because the wind isn't getting in that far. Remember, you've got a wind blocker.....And, there's no heat in the fleece itself to be carried off.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good ideal to wear fleece as an outside garment. Snow sticks to it as well as sticky burrs. Cheque out north face and columbia cold weather gear and fleece is always used as a liner to keep your body heat in, its made to zipp out from the insideof the windbreaker if need be. I wouldn't ever use fleece as an outside garment while in the bush. Not a good ideal.

Bobby
Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: buckeye

[blockquote]quote:

[blockquote]quote:

What goodis the layer of fleece on the outside of the wind barrier actually doing in a cold wind as far as insulating for me? [/blockquote]

Because wind or no wind, the fleece is still keeping in (insulating) your body heat.
[/blockquote]

If the wind is blowing thru the fleece......How would it not beblowing the warm air out on the other side of the fleece?

If you were to go outside in a cold wind with a fleece shirt on.... Would you feel the wind cutting thru it?

Would it (the wind) not take the warm air that was retained bewteen your skin and the fleece with it as it passes thru the garment?
[/blockquote]

No, because the wind isn't getting in that far. Remember, you've got a wind blocker.....And, there's no heat in the fleece itself to be carried off.
That last scenario was just a "fleece shirt", not with windblocker. Read what's there not what you want it to say killer

Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM

Oh.....yeah I see that now. In that scenario, yes, you would freeze your acorns off.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Scott:

I hope I didn't mislead or give you the wrong idea about the fleece I wear.

When I mentioned it being good for most NC temps...I'll further explain. I get up most every weekend morning and ride the ATV over to my in-laws (mama in law makes awesome biscuits).

During the winter.....the fleece Patagonia and a long sleeve t-shirt or UA Coldgear underneath is the typical garb. It handles that well.

I'd be real interested in a camo fleece outer garment, myself....and MOST days, here....I could wear just what I described. I can't speak to your temps and what I'd have to wear, underneath, when on stand, though.

I know it's quiet....warm...and I'd love to have something to wear hunting (and not just "a" layer.

Peak.....I answered your question in the part you quoted!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know the technical issues with fleece, only why I like it.

I like the windproof fleece for bow hunting in the cold wind. The inner layer blocks the wind and the outer layer is quiet for movement when drawing and shooting. I have used the stuff in IL at 15 degrees with a 25 mph wind and it works, staying out as much as a full day. Thats why I like it.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh.....yeah I see that now. In that scenario, yes, you would freeze your acorns off.
Ok, if in that scenario the wind would push the warm air out that is on the backside of the fleece, why would it not push the warm air out between the fleece and the windblock?

Quick Reply: Fleece as an outer garment.... Questions.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.