Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how did this happen can anyone tell me

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how did this happen can anyone tell me

im like you....no one except cousins hunt and shoot and do outdoor stuff that relate to hunting besides me in my "immediate" family.....there almost a little against it except my dad....he supports me but i have no idea why i started liking it so much but i am like you.....got into it myself....
Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heres to you bud. Self taught is one of th ehardest lessons youll learn. Get with some friends that hunt and share some experiences. It will help you better succeed. I went 6 years before I got my first deer, which happend to be a very nice 6 pointer. A year after I took up bowhunting.I had a week to get ready. First sitting took a 198lb doe. Noone in my family ever bowhunted, then I met my wife. Her cousin got me into bow hunting. Thanks Mike. he got me set up with my first bow and got me shooting, said I had it in me the entire time, I just never knew it. I was a natural shot and wasted many years not bow hunting. God I cant wait till Sept to roll around. HB show got me pumped for this years hunt.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

No one in my family deer hunts....or ever has.

What little I know I gleaned from reading, watching and listening here in the forums. What I've learned is.....take everything you read in.....discard the junk.....and apply what you think will aid you in your woods (can't emphasize that enough).

I think you either: 1) HAVE a killer/hunting instinct 2) Can learn it or 3) can learn enough to make you a competent archer/bowhunter in relatively short order.

There are few absolutes in deer hunting....but if you know where they're feeding, bedding and drinking.....you've got 99% of it licked. You'll catch 'em making little deer somewhere in the midst of one of the three aforementioned areas/destinations.

Don't try to make this harder than it is. You're smarter than they are....and don't forget that.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:46 AM

I am the only one in my family that hunts other then my grandfather. My grandfather bought me my first hunting bow at age 14, but even as a kid (10-12) I wanted a bow, I finally got a kids compound and would shoot for hours at the hay bail in the back yard. My brother never took any interest in it. My grandfather bought my first shotgun, 870 Express, when I turned 16. Hunting as a kid was tough since I was the only one who hunted, my parents were very supportive and would take me down to camp so I could bowhunt a couple weekends a year. In highschool I was playing 3-sports which made it difficult to get down to camp, as I did not have anywhere to hunt at home. I went away to College in Ohio and did not hunt (other then Thanksgiving) for 4 years, and finally was able to get back into it when I started working full time. I was able to take my first deer (7-point) with the 870 Express my grandfather gave me as a kid. Most of the credit for me getting into hunting should come from my grandfather supplying the equipment, But I was completely self tought on shooting, and hunting techniques. Now I have a large farm near my house I have permission to hunt on and I am getting married to my hunting partner in October. I was lucky to meet someone who loves hunting as much as I do, and hunting will definatly become a family tradtion in our family much like it is in hers. We are even going on an Illinois bowhunt for our honeymoon!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up hunting but nobody in my family bowhunted, I am a self taught bowhunter. I would recommend to anyone that is learning to get involved in a local archery club if possible, thats what I did 12 years ago and I am now full blown sick with it.....I am glad to see you getting involved no matter what your age is....
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad was taking me hunting from the time I was big enough to walk. But he didn't deer hunt much. I killed my first deer, when i was 14 witha bow. My dad was a big time duck, dove, and quail hunter and we squirrell and rabbit hunted some but I learned to deer hunt on my own. I think it's something that I was born with. I think I would have hunted no matter what because it's a desire that burns so deep within me. I have friends like you that are diehard hunters that didn't grow up with anyone around them hunting. They were just born with the desire to hunt. I have seen it be the opposite as well. I have seen diehard hunters have kids that don't wind up hunting. Some hunters just start hunting in later life and realize how enjoyable it can be, some are born into it and some are born with it inside of them. JMO
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM

Only people who hunt in my family are my uncles and cusines. My dad used to but he quit. Hopefully might go elk hunting with my uncle this year but thats iffy. nobody on my moms side of the family does exept my uncle.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

23 guys not 35 lol