Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

plot master

Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 AM

Default plot master

I was looking in to getting a plotmaster to do a couple small plots on our lease does anyone have any pros/cons on the master?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: plot master

I would really suggest you save your money. I used one back in 2005 and was not very impressed with it at all. How big of plots are you planning on working up? I was doing several (5) two acre plots and IMO the plot master made it more work. We also had a disk we were pulling behind a four wheeler and just the disk did a much better job. For the money you are going to spend on a plot master you can puchase a good disk, harrow, and seeder and get the job done better than the all-in-one unit does.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting, depends on what they cost. Is it something that you would use enough to make it cost effective, or would it be simpler to rent a tiller and hand seed (since you stated that they were small plots)?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 AM

I am looking at buying a used 4 foot model for 1500 dollars i thought that was a pretty good price.i will be plowing 3, 2 acre plots with it.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ATV Disc at Northern Tool &Equipment = $499.99
ATV Seeder = $159.99
Total = $658.98

I would probably go that route vs $1500 which another member said was more time and effortconsuming.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

We can rent a plot master at our local Gander Mtn. for $100/day. Time it right...and I think you can get it for a weekend for that price.

Factor in the life expectancy of the unit....and tell me what makes sense. ONLY way I'd do it....is to go in with someone (cut costs in half).....or KNOW that I could rent mine out, myself.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are not as heavy duty as a good 3 point disc setup and they also won't spread lime. You can buy a brand new 4-5' disc for $500 or so, a slightly used York rake for a few hundred, a good tow behind drop spreader from Northern Tool for $200 that will do fertilizer and lime,build yourself a drag to cover the seed for next to nothing using a section of chain link fence, andyou can spread your seed with a hand seeder.

This is what I've beendoing for my 4th year ofplots and what will be over 3 acres this season, and it's working fine and I saved a LOT of money over a Plotmaster. This is alsoMUCH less prone to expensive maintenance or things breakingwhen compared tosomething like a plotmaster that has tons of moving parts.

A few pics of the tools I'm using, the york rake (not pictured) and the disc are towed behind a 29 horse Kubota 4WD, and the drop spreader and drag are towed behind a small 12.5hp Simplicity lawn tractor. You can see me spreading lime in the second pic, and the third pic has the spreader with the homemade drag attachement behind it.