Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracks

Old 07-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tracks

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Did you look at the trail he left and not just one track? Where do you think he was coming from? Where was he going? How far apart were his steps? how wide was the stagger left to right? Did you notice any distinct track features that would help you identify him later like a chip in a hoof or one toe longer than the other? Did he cross there before?
It's a dandy track for sure! He left you some info that might help you kill him. Did you take advantage of that info?
Hey man thanks for the tips...Im pretty inexperienced when it comes to this kind of stuff (only 20), so it helps when you guys let me in onlittle tips like that!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

you dont have to lie an say it was her hand to cover up your painted finger nails!....nice track!
haha, you mean you guys don't mind if I paint my nails???
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bukmastr

Check out this article I did about tracks and tracking:

Click the link: http://www.bloodbro.com/articles/archives/2006/11/tracks_taking_a.php
checked out the article-- good read for sure, I think it will definitely come in handy! thanks man!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

Ok you took a pic of a running deer track
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: englum_06

Took the girlfriend to the woods today and came across this...got me pretty pumped...she wanted to use her to put beside it, so I let her...

And NOOO she doesn't have small hands either, lol. Pretty massive track...took up almost my entire hand as well!
When your GF is only 7, it really does make the track look big next to her hand!!!!

J/K'ing ya a little. Looks like anice BIG track, now where's the RACK???? Good luck with him this fall!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: englum_06

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It's probably not all that big. It doesn't appear to have slid in the muck, just spread out. The toe tracks are no bigger than her thumb. unless she's got hands like Charles Barkley, it's an OK deer, maybe even a doe.

Well I can't say I'm surprised to see that response from you...
David simply tells it like it is. Always has, probably always will. He's not putting you down, but just giving you an different possibility and in this case, I agree with him. It is a nice size track, but it looks to be in fairly soft soil...almost looks sandy (but you're in IL so I doubt that). While most of the does have already dropped their new fawns, some of the late ones are still carrying them...making them 30 or more pounds heavier than they would be otherwise. If it's a more mature doe, probably carrying twins and therefore even heavier. The weight and soft soil combination can make a track look bigger than it is.
Nobody is trying to spoil your thrill of the find. Simply pointing out other possibilities.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know that would get my attention! Good luck this fall!