Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wounded deer

Old 07-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: wounded deer

If it was a legal deer I would take him out. If it wasn't legal, he would have to do the best he can. I wouldn't take the chance of being checked by DCNR guys and try to convince them the buck was already wounded before I shot it. Thatwould be a tough sell convincing them of that.[:@]
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

If it was a legal deer I would take him out. If it wasn't legal, he would have to do the best he can. I wouldn't take the chance of being checked by DCNR guys and try to convince them the buck was already wounded before I shot it. Thatwould be a tough sell convincing them of that.[:@]
Same...

If the buck had at least 4 points on one side, I'd take him. Otherwise I'd be forced to let him go under PA regulations...
Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I would take him/her out. I hate to have to see a deer suffer with a wound that will probably kill him/her on down the line.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it's legal and its wounded its on the dinner plate.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 PM

i would %100 drop that buck in its tracks...you can't eat the antlers...and that bigger buck would have to live through another season...its funny just pre scouting this seasoni saw a doe that was limping almost like she got hit by a car that comes to the orchard every night, one of these night i was thinking about bringing a bow and taken her out...but someday i wanna be a game warden and don't wanna risk any kind ofsituations...soi thinkher and i can bothwait a few more months....shes #1 on my hit list even before all the bucks
Old 07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys....

This really isn't that tough.

I've always said....that the definition of "ethics"....was doing the right thing....when even the wrong thing isn't against the law.

In some situations.....like the one mentioned by the OP arises.....the opposite of this statmement can still hold true.

Do what's "right" and keep your mouth shut.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

During rifle elk season here in Wyoming last year I had that same scenario happen. Hunting a wilderness area and was probably 3 miles in the backcountry. Taking a rest listening to elk bugle and a small raghorn bull walks withing 20 yards and lays down. He was clearly wounded in the front shoulder and later found out he was trying to catch up to the herd.

I am a 100% fair chase and ethical hunter. I knew that he was not worth packing out that far for as small as he was. But the ethical bone in my body made me put the crosshairs right between the eyes and put him out of his misery. I did not want to put another bullet into him, pack him out and find most of the meat may have been ruined.

Pulled the trigger and MISSED!!!!!! I know I tried the right thing and it didn't happen the way it needed too. But at least as an ethical hunter I don't have to know I let him lay there and die in pain and agony.

So go ahead and bash now!!!! Missed an easy shot but everyone has a bonehead story of missing the easy shot.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you're presented with a situation that is real...taking all of the rule books away....and its you and the animal...do whats best to minimize suffering....make the decision that works right for all of us...and most importantly...wildlife......Even the DNR guy is a real person....wears the same clothes you do....something to think about...

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The animal get's put out of it's misery.