Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting for hunters?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default RE: Scouting for hunters?

My father and I finally found a great area in the WMA last year. We spent2 straight years dealing with non-hunting, non-scouting, arrive on opening day, drive to a spot where you see alot of marker tape, turn down the trail with 2 trucks at the end of it, drive right under the first stand you see, get out and wonder whysomeone was drawing an arrow back and sighting in on their tires. We decided last year to not mark anything and we never had problem. We also turned in 10 poachers within the first week of hunting and became pretty tight with the Wildlife Officers. They would drive by several times a day which helped to keep alot of the baiters and one day hunting wonders away. I have already started scouting for this year in the same area and I am seeing great sign. I counted 12 does(4 immature), 12 fawns,and 8 bucksyesterday. Being that we were lucky to see 4 deer total in a year in the other areas I think we found a really good spot. We also learned some things last year about the movement changes between preseason andduring season trails and movement tactics. I didn't go a day without seeing a deer last year.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I think the same as well, also I make sure I am out the first snow fall, and most of the main escape trails I find in the snow I usually sit on next fall and I very rarelysee people any where near them come fall Hunting, I guess thast why they call them escape routes I started doing this 3 yrs ago and works very well for me, plus to there aren't many people in the same state land here for archery so most of the time you never see another hunter, shot gun well thats another story
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 120 acres I have permission to hunt on is also hunted by 8 other hunters.

I use their locations to set my stands depending on which way the wind will be blowing and which way I think they will be pushing the deer.

Last year in about 2 1/2 weeks hunting this area I saw over 100 deer from my stands and over 60 of them were antlered Bucks.

So it seemed to work for me

Dan