Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ticks

Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ticks

ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

Who on here was talking about Deet??? Deet is a completely different chemical that you put on your skin. Permethrine goes on your clothes and kills them on contact. As a backup you can put deet on your skin but your right deet does not do a good job on ticks! But again no one is talking about deet!
eh?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I simply said DEET did and does nothing to ticks whare I am. I understand completely that it is a different chemical and that is why I am asking Q's. I don't put deet on my person for the most part as I have seen it strip paint off of almost everything out there. I was looking for a better product but was worriewd about scent and such.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM

You will be amazed at thedifferance between permethrin and deet. Properly treat your clothes, complete coverage. I have not had a live tick on me in years and like Isaid I am in the woods all the time. Was out this morning. I find them dead on my pants sometimes. It does have an initial smell butI do not smell it after it dries. Does not mean that animals won't smell it though.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx TC
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sandilands

Is there any scent to it????? Bears have a great nose and am worried they would smell it. 30 ticksa day is nothing!!!!!! The bear I shot had thousands I mean 1000's of ticks on it. When I hit the woods I wouldd have at least 100 ticks in a 4hr period. Today I tried a deet repellant when scouting and it did NOTHING to the ticks. If it works so good then I'm going to Wally world tommorrow.[8D]But to buy it by the quart
Did you think Deet would do anything to the ticks??

Use Permanone, but as noted keep it off your skin

Dan
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

With out a dought permonone is the way to go Just be careful if you get into anything wet, I once had it on my close and got to crawling through wet weeds to gain position on some turkeys. My pants got soaked and it reactivated the permonone giving me one bad rash on my thighs that lasted for a week [X(]
ORIGINAL: TimberCreek

I am in the woods every weekend throughout the year. Permanone or Permethrine (permanone is really permethrin) is the ONLY repellant to be using! The cans are roughly $6(wally world sells them). the cans are 5% and do not last long. You must completely spray all of your clothes including socks, then you won't have any problems. If you can find them, there are military impregnation kits for treating cloths, the kits have two small bottles of 40% permethrin in them and a large green bag. NSN 6840-01-345-0237. Pour one of the bottles into a hand pump sprayer and add water then spray your clothes before going into woods.

Here's another secret for you all. The aerosol can you buy at walmarthas 5% permathrin and there is not much in the can. Go to the garden center and look at the termite/tick killer in the gray quart bottle, look at the ingredients! A whole quart of 5% permathrin for $14.00! Put in pump spraybottle and save yourself allot of money.

Also did you know that those expensive little vials you buy to put on your dogs back for fleas and ticks (K9 Advantix etc) contain 5% permathrin?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you all use to kill ticks around the house. I made an awfully big boo boo this yr as it was my first bear hunt and my son wanted to see the bear. I brought it home and skinned it in the garage. When I walked in the garage the day after the kill it looked like the bear was alive....... the hair was flowing with ticks. I would guess 3000-5000 easy. Neighbours aren't too pleased either but they don't complain as much as my wife as I educate their kids when game comes home. Really its a neighbourhood affair when I bring home game as all the kids come by to check it out.
But seriously how do I get rid of ticks in my garage or stop them from coming in the house. My wife says she is about to leave me[X(]
Old 07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sandilands

What do you all use to kill ticks around the house. I made an awfully big boo boo this yr as it was my first bear hunt and my son wanted to see the bear. I brought it home and skinned it in the garage. When I walked in the garage the day after the kill it looked like the bear was alive....... the hair was flowing with ticks. I would guess 3000-5000 easy. Neighbours aren't too pleased either but they don't complain as much as my wife as I educate their kids when game comes home. Really its a neighbourhood affair when I bring home game as all the kids come by to check it out.
But seriously how do I get rid of ticks in my garage or stop them from coming in the house. My wife says she is about to leave me[X(]
With out a dought pymerthrin is the way to go. When I hang a deer in the garage (Where my wife parks her car.) I spray the pymerthrin on the garage floor. Keep in mind that the spray lasts up to 6 weeks and thru several washings. I have not seen a live tick in the garage, house, or on me since I started using it 3 seasons ago. I have a friend that sprays an old blanket and puts it under the deer/bear and that also works for him. I just spray the concrete. I know how you feel If she found a tick on her or in the car I would be hanging up next to the deer.

After I spray my clothes and they dry I run them through a scent free wash just to make sure they are scent free. It is supposed to be oderless after it dries but work to hard to geta shot to take any chances.

Bob

Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Go to Wally world in the garden center get the quart of termite/ant killer with 5% permethrin, mix 2 oz per gallon in a pump lawn sprayer. Mist spray the area. I spray my whole yard about every three weeks. keeps all the bugs away including fleas, chiggers etc. I even had bad mole problem a couple of years ago and they went away. Must have soaked into the ground and killed the grubs so the moles went elsewhere!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

where i hunt i really dont have a problem with ticks so i never really use anything but if were to use something i would probably use bug spray
[align=left] [/align]