Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

I"ve seen people comment they don't know how fast their arrow shoots! I could not stand it if I did not know the speed of my arrow, weight of the arrow, ect... After I get a bowand set it up, I paper tune and chronograph. If I change tip weight, I'm going to see what effect it made through paper and chronograph. Granted, you don't have to know that information, but I do have to know.
Let's hear from the other equipment detailed chronograping people.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

At times I go even further. I'm my own full blown pro shop (and for friends) and I love to tinker with my bows/equipment.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddy MECHDOC has a mini pro shop in his garage. I stopped by his place to chrono and tinker with my setup for the season. I know what a 403gr setup will do and what f.o.c. I have and what a 428gr setup will do. My bow pulls at 82.2# currently and I have no problem shooting broadheads as accurately as my fieldpoints. Now if he would get a decible meter I'd be totally dialed in
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: racewayking

My hunting buddy MECHDOC has a mini pro shop in his garage. I stopped by his place to chrono and tinker with my setup for the season. I know what a 403gr setup will do and what f.o.c. I have and what a 428gr setup will do. My bow pulls at 82.2# currently and I have no problem shooting broadheads as accurately as my fieldpoints. Now if he would get a decible meter I'd be totally dialed in
Yeah, I'm that way. I actually do have a decibel meter that I use. I'm only this way with my hobbies for some reason.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know most of this kind of thing as it relates to my specifichunting equipment. I don't go nuts with it though.Some guys are just into facts and numbers.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must be the only one who doesn't know that stuff. When I bought my bow the guy set it up for me and told me the numbers then, but what I heard was the way the teacher on Charlie Brown sounds. I shoot and adjust accordingly. I don't do too much tinkering cause I don't want to screw it up and not be able to get it back.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

If you don't know this stuff.....or how to decipher it.....I feel like you should hook-up with someone who does....and get your bow set up to maximize its efficiency.

All you have to do is ask in this forum. PLENTY of people to help you out. I went from being a complete techno-stooge to being able to self-perform and diagnose "most" equipment issues in a relatively short time. I owe all that to a few guys in here with some patience and willingness to teach.

Just ask.....and they will guide you.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Today I am not as technical as I was 10 years ago when I was serious about competition, however there are still a few major things I will always make sure I know about my bows.....I will always paper tune, check speed, Know how much my arrows weigh and keep up with my KE....That is about as far as I go anymore....
Old 07-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. I know what kind of arrows I am supposed to be shooting based on my bow. I don't care about knowing the speed of my arrow or the overall weight of my arrow. As long as I can consistently shoot out to 30 yards, I feel fine.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Trust me, most people are better off NOT knowing how fast their bow shoots or what kind of KE they have. It just leads you to second guess your equipment. You can take someone that has been killing deer just fine with a particular set up then tell them their bow is actually pretty slow or they are lacking energy compared to something else. Next thing you know they are second guessing their set up and looking for ways to make it faster. Normally at some cost to accuracy or shootability.

I've been there done that and luckily grown out of it. With any of today's modern bows they all have enough power to kill efficiently at bowhunting distances. You should set the bow up to where it is comfortable to shoot in all situations and not be worried that your buddies set up has 3.5 ft/lbs more KE than your does or that it shoots 12 fps faster. In the long run it simply is not going to matter if you shoot your bow well.

I'm not saying knowing the specs of your set up isn't important, but some personality types are better of just not knowing. Knowing the speed of your bow has two benifits. It will help you determine the properly spined arrow for your set up, and it will let you guage if something has changed over time. Other than that they are of no use except to stress you out if they are not what you hoped they would be.

Paul

Quick Reply: Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.