Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

I'm very detailed when it comes to having my gear in top shape. I select my gear for hunting only.I like things that are simple and fool proof. When it comes to bow technical info I pay no attention. I don't care how fast it is or what weight my arrow is or my KE. I'm only concerned that it hits where I aim it. I think it's far more important to become proficient with my bow than all thatother stuff.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know if you'd call it being detail oriented or just call it knowing your equipment. Like me, I know my bow is IBO 314 or something like that. But I like heavy arrows, and heavier broadhead, and I have a short draw length 27 1/2. I know my bow is shooting my 475 grain arrow at 260 fps. Do I need to know it. NOPE... but knowing what it does helps me know my equipment. If I want to tinker and see what changes I have a starting point. Paper comfirms my arrows are flying true. I want to know what my FOC is because from what I've read over the past 37 years, it helps to have it in a certain range for hunting. I've always tuned with that in mind. K.E. is a good guide for determining what you can reasonably expect. Yes it's anal, if you have the speed and a balanced arrow the deer is dead. It's important to know if you're thinking mechanical. GAG..GAG spit... NO I'm not thinkiing mechanical. LOL I don't know that you should call all these things being detail oriented, justcomplete in you bow tuning process and understanding.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is not one of those sports where "Ignorance is Bliss"........knowing as much as you can about How, Why and What your equipment is doing will help you in all aspects of the archery end of bowhunting.
It will allow you to become independent (or at least work your way there) with your equipment and be sure your set up is performing at it's peak efficiency. It will also permit you to make informed choices on such things as broadheads that better compliment your rig.

This isn't a gun where all you need to know is pick the right cartridge and know how to turn a scope knob.

"Knowledge is Power"..........
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spend a lot of time tunkering and trying different things. Rests, arrows, peeps, sights. You name it. I have a chrono and use it extensively. One thing I NEVER worry about is kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is just another thing that gets beaten to death when in reality any bow of 50# or more shooting a properly spined arrow produces enough kinetic energy to down any deer on the planet, regardless of draw length or anything else. There are just too many other things to worry about. Shooting form and mind control being the prime considerations.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know either, if I ever get a chrono or goto a shop that has one I will but no worries, I know my lighter arrows shoot faster than my heavier ones....

I estimate my speed, I'm surprised to see guys shooting over 300fps....I just assume AMO speeds vs IBO.....usually 315fps vs 235fps etc....

I like the idea of lighter faster flatter arrows, but my heavier arrows just feel so good. I try to pull more weight but if I don't pull70lbs I don't worry, I pull whats comfy, so ya id love to pull 70 or 80lbs with light arrows that shot great, but if I'm pulling 65lbs with my heavier arrows, and know where theyre going to be when I release the string, thats plenty fine by me.

afterall the best hunter isn't the best shot at the range, or the guy with the best setup, fastest most accurate arrows, if that 400" bull elk walks up and you're shaking so hard you can't even pull your 80lb bow, you might as well be an 8yo boy with a toy compound. I'm sure there are some great hunters out there using old/bad equipment shooting arrows at 200fps with more trophies than you or I can dream about. That guy would impress me more than the guy shooting 350fps and can hit a dime at 80yds but can't kill anything that offers him a shot.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have always been very detail oriented about all my Archery equipment.

I wanna know exactly what is doing, as well as what it is capable of doing. It gives me something to do in the offseason as well

I feel the more familar you are with your equipment the quicker you are to spot/feel a slight change in anything regarding your Bow.

Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I spend a lot of time tunkering and trying different things. Rests, arrows, peeps, sights. You name it. I have a chrono and use it extensively. One thing I NEVER worry about is kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is just another thing that gets beaten to death when in reality any bow of 50# or more shooting a properly spined arrow produces enough kinetic energy to down any deer on the planet, regardless of draw length or anything else. There are just too many other things to worry about. Shooting form and mind control being the prime considerations.
Not exactly. If you were to decide to go to a mechanical head you'd havea bag of worms on your hand. And it may down any deer on the planet.... sometimes. You run into down range problems that a bow with more whollop won't have to worry about.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I must be the only one who doesn't know that stuff. When I bought my bow the guy set it up for me and told me the numbers then, but what I heard was the way the teacher on Charlie Brown sounds. I shoot and adjust accordingly. I don't do too much tinkering cause I don't want to screw it up and not be able to get it back.
X2, i dont know the most about bows, so i just let my pro shop tinker with my stuff, but i havent any issues yet. now with my truck i tinker with that, but if i break it my dad can fix it
Old 07-04-2008, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I don't know either, if I ever get a chrono or goto a shop that has one I will but no worries, I know my lighter arrows shoot faster than my heavier ones....

I estimate my speed, I'm surprised to see guys shooting over 300fps....I just assume AMO speeds vs IBO.....usually 315fps vs 235fps etc....

I like the idea of lighter faster flatter arrows, but my heavier arrows just feel so good. I try to pull more weight but if I don't pull70lbs I don't worry, I pull whats comfy, so ya id love to pull 70 or 80lbs with light arrows that shot great, but if I'm pulling 65lbs with my heavier arrows, and know where theyre going to be when I release the string, thats plenty fine by me.

afterall the best hunter isn't the best shot at the range, or the guy with the best setup, fastest most accurate arrows, if that 400" bull elk walks up and you're shaking so hard you can't even pull your 80lb bow, you might as well be an 8yo boy with a toy compound. I'm sure there are some great hunters out there using old/bad equipment shooting arrows at 200fps with more trophies than you or I can dream about. That guy would impress me more than the guy shooting 350fps and can hit a dime at 80yds but can't kill anything that offers him a shot.

My cousin is the guy with the old bowbut he has shot more deer than i can count
Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: jbowersox

ORIGINAL: racewayking

My hunting buddy MECHDOC has a mini pro shop in his garage. I stopped by his place to chrono and tinker with my setup for the season. I know what a 403gr setup will do and what f.o.c. I have and what a 428gr setup will do. My bow pulls at 82.2# currently and I have no problem shooting broadheads as accurately as my fieldpoints. Now if he would get a decible meter I'd be totally dialed in
Yeah, I'm that way. I actually do have a decibel meter that I use. I'm only this way with my hobbies for some reason.
Dang it. In addition to the chrono and grain scale, I have an arrow saw, bow scale, press, fletching jig, but not a decibel meter.

Quick Reply: Are you detail oriented: speed, KE, grains...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.