Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which way would you go in?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which way would you go in?

I made some mock scrapes about every 30-40 yrds west of this location, so close to their bedding that I can stalk up from the east and get in my stand no problem.
I was just going off what you said.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

HALO drop in! Jump from 10000 feet and open chute a 300. They'll never see you coming and you might get your shot on the way down! Not knowing the property and just looking at the photos, I would say have a stand in the South corner of the alfalfa/clover field and be ready in the afternoon.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I made some mock scrapes about every 30-40 yrds west of this location, so close to their bedding that I can stalk up from the east and get in my stand no problem.
I was just going off what you said.
Yes I did say that. After setting up the stand, and knowing there was one active scrape, we decided to use a couple mock scrape to see if we had any visitors. I read where you can start a scrape this early (do not apply scent of any kind), and recheck it later to see if any other deer had visited it. Towards the breeding season, start applying your scent to see what the scrape will bring in. The key is to have the scrape scent free to see if it will be used as a cuommunity scrape, or what and when a deer decided to start using it for scent dispersal.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

After setting up the stand, and knowing there was one active scrape, we decided to use a couple mock scrape to see if we had any visitors.
Now go back and read the info. you provided on who (which deer) is making and using these scrapes.....and then come back and tell me WHY you made the scrapes.

I'm just curious.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

After setting up the stand, and knowing there was one active scrape, we decided to use a couple mock scrape to see if we had any visitors.
Now go back and read the info. you provided on who (which deer) is making and using these scrapes.....and then come back and tell me WHY you made the scrapes.

I'm just curious.
Creating Mock Scrapes by Bryan "CornFed" Anderson

When To Begin Creating Mock Scrapes

Another thing I don't think a lot of folks realize is that one of the best times for mock scrape creating and hunting is early. In fact, I've found that many hunters don't even consider "scrape hunting" as a tactic until way latter in the season. I've consistently seen results much earlier in the season then most hunters assume. I've found that mock scrapes can be made even before the bucks loose their velvet. Obviously at this time the mock scrape isn't much more than a licking branch but it can be very effective. This scrape will become much like a community gathering point for bucks and even does. As the season wears on and bucks loose their velvet some become very aggressive at these sites while others still continue to utilize the scrapes but never really get aggressive…. Scrape the area with your scent free boot until it is clean of debris. This area should not be large, less than 24 inches across. This will certainly get the deer’s attention. Make sure that there is a licking branch directly over the scrape.

Make your own Deer Scrape
Keith Warren
Next, take a good look at your mock scrape and then leave for a couple of days. Because when you return, you will notice you have created an area that deer simply can’t resist visiting.

I have used this technique for years and been able to get some incredible results and it doesn’t take long to work. The best part is, when the first buck uses the mock scrape it becomes a real scrape. You can learn a lot from a dog, as long as you are almost as smart as he is and be willing to learn.

[align=center]"Creating Your Own Early Scrape" by John Kasun[/align][align=center][/align]
Every bow hunter knows the importance of finding a hot scrape. The only thing better than simply finding a hot scrape is being able to predict where it is going to appear. Sound impossible, not really according to Mark Wiser, President of MDR Outdoor Group and developer of 24Seven time-released, granular big game scents.
"It is a misconception that each scrape is used by a single deer," explained Wiser. "Scrapes are like a community mail box. Deer visit them to check who was there and leave their own sign in the form of scent both on the ground and on the overhanging branches. Overhanging branches are a critical component of scrapes as this is where the deer deposit scent from their pre-orbital and forehead glands."
"While hunting natural scrapes can be productive it is often unpredictable," said Wiser. "Natural scrapes can be difficult to find and they may occur in areas which are not open to hunting. The ideal situation is to stimulate scrape activity within the area you are hunting and the way to do that is start your own scrapes and encourage the deer to take them over."
"I have found that early July to mid August is the ideal time to made scrapes in your hunting area," Wiser continued. "The first consideration is location. Your scrapes should be placed near areas in which you found scrapes last season, near trails or funnels and along the edges of bedding areas. Find a location near an overhanging branch that is about 4 feet off of the ground. If no overhanging branch is available in the area you selected it is acceptable to bend a higher branch over and tie it down so it hangs unobstructed over the scrape. Be sure when tying the branch down that the rope does not interfere with the deer's access to the scrape. Thicker overhanging branches seem to produce better results with three quarters of an inch being the maximum. Clear an area under the overhanging branch about two to three feet in diameter down to the bare ground clearing it of all grass, leaves or other debris. Do not scent the scrape in any way at this time; that comes a little later."
Although you can make several scrapes within a given areas the number depends upon the size of the area and the number of suitable locations," cautioned Wiser. "By preparing these scrapes in July-August we have several weeks for the human scent to disperse before we made our first scent application. About one month before the season apply scent to the scrape or scrapes. Check the scrape every three to five days for any signs of activity.. As soon as you see buck activity on the scrape back off. Do not apply any more scent."
"What has happened is that the deer in any area have discovered a "new guy on the block" and are leaving their scent in the scrape to tell him who is boss," explained Wiser. "They are interested and will take over the scrape as their own but if you continue to apply scent the other deer will simply accept the "new guy" and activity may cease. Wait until one week before the season and reapply your scent of choice. Refreshen the scrape with your scent of choice every three to four days and the especially the day before you plan to hunt it. What you will have done is created the illusion that "he's back" and deer activity over the scrape will increase giving you're the opportunity for a shot."
After locating the site in which you intend to make your scrape, the first step is to clear all debris including leaves and grass. The scrape must be down to bare earth and the deal size approximately two feet square.
Here Mark Wiser, President of MDR Outdoor Group and developer of 24Seven Plus time-released solid big game scents is shown preparing the early scrape. These early scrapes should be prepared fromJuly to mid August. The scrapes will not have scent applied until several weeks before the season. By making the scrape early, we allow time for human scent to disappear and the deer to become familiar with the scrape.

About the author[/b]
John Kasun is an active outdoor writer, photographer and seminar speaker and is a member of both the Pennsylvania Outdoor Writers Association and The Outdoor Writers Association of America.
John is active in all aspects of the outdoors but he specializes in hunting whitetail with bow and muzzleloader. John takes his hunting seriously and to date has taken over 100 whitetail with the bow. John is both a skilled bow technician and an accomplished target shooter. John believes attention to detail is the key to hunting success and he readily shares his knowledge with his readers and seminar audiences in clear simple easy to understand terms based upon his personal in the field experience.
[align=center]John's articles and photographs have appeared in various outdoor publications. He is a regular contributor and columnist for several publications and his work has appeared in numerous publications such as: ArrowTrade, Pennsylvania Sportsmen, New York Outdoor Times, West Virginia Outdoor Times, Ohio Outdoor Times, Pennsylvania Outdoor Times, Pennsylvania Outdoor News, Keystone Sportsman, Pennsylvania Game News, New England Outdoor Times, Wheelin' Sportsmen, Westsylvania, The Paper Horse, Muzzleloader, Muzzle Blast, Centre Daily Times, Johnstown Tribune Democrat, and the Altoona Mirror to mention just a few
[/align]
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen scrapes worked every month of the year but may and june...and I am sure it happens sometimes then too, just havent seen it. I sometimes make mock scrapes in august but never havetried them earlier.

I would probably take the bootleg route - any other way (incuding from the southwest) would likely take you too near what you lable as a bedding area.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

FIRST of all.....Everything you're citing is talking about the early SEASON. It's July.

Second of all....read this excerpt from one of your previous posts. If this is true (and the reason I asked my original question)...WHAT are you hoping to accomplish by making a scrape this early in the SUMMER (notice I didn't say "season")?

Past studies indicated that dominant bucks created and maintained scrapes year round.
These same studies demonstrated that yearlings and 2½-year-old bucks rarely mark scrapes, and that they only do so later in the season.
Also....this next excerpt is total bunk. I watched 4 bucks work the same scrape (none older than 1.5yrs....and one was a BB who had to stand on his hind legs to get to the licking branch) in an hour's time....and they ALL pawed the ground and worked the licking branch.

The underlined part is particularly misleading.

They found that subordinate bucks may rub on branches hanging over a scrape, but rarely paw the ground or urinate in the scrape. Studies showed that only one buck worked a particular scrape, and older bucks would prevent younger bucks from using the scrape.
So again I ask (reading below).....IF the "alpha" buck is making scrapes in an area.....what do you think he thinks of YOUR scrapes? WHY are you making them? That's the original question I asked you.

Other studies have shown that deer, predominately the alpha buck will create the scrapes, and leave no scent to see who is visiting the site.
I'm trying to see if others will chime in and teach me something....or if you can/will.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

FIRST of all.....Everything you're citing is talking about the early SEASON. It's July.
In the article by John Kasun he mentioned early as being ""I have found that early July to mid August is the ideal time to made scrapes in your hunting area,"

Second of all....read this excerpt from one of your previous posts. If this is true (and the reason I asked my original question)...WHAT are you hoping to accomplish by making a scrape this early in the SUMMER (notice I didn't say "season")?
Im interested in the others who visit the site (via trailcam)

Past studies indicated that dominant bucks created and maintained scrapes year round.
These same studies demonstrated that yearlings and 2½-year-old bucks rarely mark scrapes, and that they only do so later in the season.
Im speaking of a non-scented scrape. one to scent later in the year to see if any younger bucks take advantage of the "non-scent" and make the first scent.

Also....this next excerpt is total bunk. I watched 4 bucks work the same scrape (none older than 1.5yrs....and one was a BB who had to stand on his hind legs to get to the licking branch) in an hour's time....and they ALL pawed the ground and worked the licking branch.

The underlined part is particularly misleading.

They found that subordinate bucks may rub on branches hanging over a scrape, but rarely paw the ground or urinate in the scrape. Studies showed that only one buck worked a particular scrape, and older bucks would prevent younger bucks from using the scrape.
So again I ask (reading below).....IF the "alpha" buck is making scrapes in an area.....what do you think he thinks of YOUR scrapes? WHY are you making them? That's the original question I asked you.

I would guess that done properly, the deer will not know the difference between MY scrapes, and those created by another deer. Im hoping that by them noticing, they will assume this is a non-vacant area, and continue to visit these sights to leave their scent...possibly to attempt to show dominancy

Other studies have shown that deer, predominately the alpha buck will create the scrapes, and leave no scent to see who is visiting the site.
I'm trying to see if others will chime in and teach me something....or if you can/will.

Thanks.

[/quote]

Im doing things I have never done before, so in a way Im experimenting. Definately not claiming any claims to my actions, other than to see whay happens. The articles I have read, the scrape is like an invitation to stop by and present themselves, whether dominant or not. The community scrapes are used by both doe and bucks, and by each leaving some type of scent, they are signing their name to the guest book.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

In the article by John Kasun he mentioned early as being ""I have found that early July to mid August is the ideal time to made scrapes in your hunting area,"
That's interesting. I'll give him that. But if you're making it near old scrapes, as he suggests....well....nevermind.....interesting.

I would guess that done properly, the deer will not know the difference between MY scrapes, and those created by another deer. Im hoping that by them noticing, they will assume this is a non-vacant area, and continue to visit these sights to leave their scent...possibly to attempt to show dominancy
So you're trying to make the dominant/alpha buck think there's another dude on the block? The article I cited said that only one would use a scrape...and him being the alpha would ward off others. Are you not taking the chance that you'll ward off ALL the bucks in your area......by having them think there's a new alpha on the block? Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the action.

I agree we should try new things. If you think this will help you.....by all means go for it!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

[/quote]

So you're trying to make the dominant/alpha buck think there's another dude on the block? The article I cited said that only one would use a scrape...and him being the alpha would ward off others. Are you not taking the chance that you'll ward off ALL the bucks in your area......by having them think there's a new alpha on the block? Just trying to understand the reasoning behind the action.

I agree we should try new things. If you think this will help you.....by all means go for it!
[/quote]

Well Im certainly not going to use the tree next to his 2 yr old scrape. Im putting one down a ridge closer to another trail, and some others throughout the 300 acres. Im hoping this will start a few of the bucks on the property to "take then over" like a dominant buck would.

Just like you said, and I've said...if it works we will all learn something new. I dont think I will be hurting anything in the least, other than moving some leaves around. Im not going to scent them until right before season, so the ones that arent "taken over" I may leave alone.

Make sense now? I know that is almost impossible with your inquisical mind, but lets just say it wont hurt anything!

TRUCE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.