Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Time's

Old 07-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Hunting Time's

What time are you in the stand for a morning hunt? "In the stand" I mean ready to hunt.
How long do you typical stay on stand?

I am ready to hunt 2 hours before sunrise
I sit until 11:00-12:00 depanding on if there is deer around

Evening Hunts

Early season 4:30PM I am ready to hunt.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Time's

I used to be ready b/4 it got light enough to see. I scared a lot of deer going in and it never really worked in my favor. Now I like to slip in quietly when it's just light enough to see. I stay until around 10 most days. I get out get a bite to eat, maybe shoot a few arrows, set a stand or do a little scouting or rest a while. I'm usually back out by 2. Sometimes I sit all day. I don't do that all the time because I get burnt out doing it every day. During rifle season I stay all day.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I like to try and be set up and ready to go on stand in the morning an hour before legal shooting time.
I have to drive 3 hours back to my family's farm, so a lot of times I'll stay on stand all day--this often includes a mid-day nap.

If I'm going out for an evening hunt I like to have at least 4 hours of shooting time.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Morning I'm there 1 1/2 hours before shooting time. I like to close my eyes and just listen. I'll get down around 11 or so and for evening I like to have 5 or 6 hrs.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

I get in 1 hr before daylight, just to watch the woods wake up. I have enough locations where if nothing is happening at my first stop, chances are they are somewhere else. I may come down silently around 10 is and get out of the woods, regroup, stalk into another stand about 1 and stay until about 2:30-3.

If nothing is happening then, I will go to a stand I havent sat at very much throughout the season and wait it out til dusk. Usually Im a couple miles in the woods at this time so I will drop down and stalk the way back up the hill to truck, or do a man drive for my partners in other stand locations.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 AM

I still go in the dark but use a small red light to see, usually around 5. Just before the sun starts to color the horizon. I stay until 10 or so. The afternoons, usually later in aournd 445, right after work. 4 gun season sun up till sun down, unless I actually shoot something
Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Gary....my main hunting spot mirrors your times, perfectly.

I have to alter my entrance times according to the spot I'm hunting. SOme places I can go into, later. Hell I've stayed out late and went to stand without going to bed, before. The spot I'm talking about is a transition area.....and they come back from feeding all night...and they hole up in this spot....waiting to get a few nibbles before they jead to bed for the day. I've seen 'em bed down in this spot......get back up at first light.....feed and head to bed.

So I have to get there early. 2 hrs min.

Other spots? about an hour before first light.

Disclaimer: I hunt pretty small parcels...and I know my way around them in the dark. If I thought I had to make a bunch of noise getting to my tree.....I might wait a bit. Also....I have NEVER gotten a more peaceful nap than I do at that time of the morning....in my treestand. That time of morning is when I solve my world's problems, also. I wouldn't trade this time for anything.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I walk in only when it's dark and sit until around 11:00AM.For evening hunts, I'm in my stand by 1:30-2:00PM and leave when it gets dark. During the rut, I'm inan hour before first light and like tohunt all day.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Over the years, my most productive times in the morning have been from 1hr to 2hrs after first light. I've adjusted my hunting accordingly.... I get to my stand just before day break.

In the afternoons I like to get in there anywhere from `12-2, just depends on the weather.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the mornings I like to get there 1/2 to an hour before the sky starts to get any color to it. I usually stay till 10:00 or so. I have to say I usually seemost of my deer between 7:00 and 8:00.

I head back out around 4:00 ish in the afternoons (early season), earlier later in the year.

Quick Reply: Hunting Time's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.