Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Tag Soup?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck Tag Soup?

havent killed one with my bow, so every year there. with a gun its been 1 year.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first year I failed to kill a buck although I did get a doe. The next 2 years Ifilled both of mybuck tags. That is my 3 years of experience.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 pointer - Archery - October 18th, 2007 - NH
8 pointer - Rifle - November 11th, 2007 - Texas hunt
8 pointer - Pistol - November 24th, 2007 - NH

Just in case someone wants to call me a liar (wink-wink-ha-ha-yuk-yuk)
Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck I'll be honest. I've went 8 to 9 years without shooting a buck. I've been passing up bucks for 18 years. Here and there I get lucky enough to get what I want. I'll go 20 years without shooting a buck if he isn't big enough. Its just the way I am and how I hunt. It wouldn't and doesn't bother me one bit on not shooting a buck. There's plenty of other deer (does and doe fawns) to be shooting if it comes down to that. Besides I go bear hunting usually every year so the chances of releasing an arrow are fairly good for the most part. I'm on a new streak though being last year I shot myself a decent 8pt so I'll probably start another buckless streak this fall!![8D][8D]
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with Schultzy on this one.I've been 5 years buckless with my bow.I'm still holding out for another big one,no matter how long the wait is.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ate minein '05 and '06. I really didn't like the taste. Don't plan on doing that again.

I had to relearn to hunt my woods with 2 other hunters in it besides me. It really made a difference.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell you what. In the last 6 years in Pa, I've killed a buck 5 times, no great accomplishment really.Inthe last 3 years hunting Alberta,I went without a buck my first year. Killed one my second, and went without killing one (by choice) last year. I'm hoping this year is MY year up north!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am with GMAT I started bow hunting in 96' and have taken a buck near every year and always get my does but I see it slowing down as I have been lucky enough to get on a place that doesn't want anything (buck wise) shot under 4 1/2 years old. I passed a real nice 3 1/2 y/o last year that would have been the nicest deer I have ever shot. Maybe this year will prove to be better with the mature deer on this piece of land!!! I voted 1 year as that has been the longest I have gone without harvesting a buck (My family land is one of those places that if it has bone and you don't shoot it you might not get to hunt next year, grandad is kinda anal about that) I always get deer meat on the family farm!!!