Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's wrong with just shooting?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Default What's wrong with just shooting?

There's been quite alot of talk around here lately about "top end" bucks, and waiting for the right buck, hunting specific bucks....that sort of thing. Now, don't get me wrong, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. I admire, and have a ton of respect for, ya'll that pull that off. Maybe someday I'll be there as well, but it ain't gonna be this year.

I'm asked often about what is my goal? What size buck defines a "shooter" for me. I can't honestly answer that, because I don't have a specific goal. When the right buck walks past, I'll shoot him. The ONLY goal I have is a "nice" 8 point or better. I don't personally care about how old he is, how many inches of horn...Folks ask if I'll shoot an equal or lesser buck than the one I shot last year. My answer to that is an emphatic YES, if he's the "right" one. Ya'll know what I'm talking about. A buck walks up, you're like...."Do I want to shoot this one?" In my limited experience, if I have to ask myself that......I'm gonna let them walk. When I see a buck and don't have to think about it, I let loose, no matter the size or maturity stature.

So what say ye? Am I wrong? How many of ya'll have the same "goal?"
Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's wrong with just shooting?

Thats myplans exactly as my unexperienced butt sits in a tree this season.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think everyone has "their" goals.

I think the threads we have had have been good and well mannerd. Nothing wrong with buck talk Your's is good one also.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not wrong to feel any way about shooting any deer.

Most of us are probably bored and its niceto have something to talk about. The biggest reason I do what I do is causeI can shoot multiple does, and for the majority of my season that is my focus and fun. So I can be pickier about bucks. Will I shoot one smaller than my biggest....in a heartbeat. But I am fortunate to have a realistic chance at some nice bucks, so for me its like a why not wait and see what I get approach. IF my current lands change, I'll re-evaluate what I feel like shooting.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find my goals can change from day to day....hunt to hunt. One hunt I may just watch adeer then Imay just send an arrow at the same deer the next time.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Don:

My standards aren't that high.

When you're "holding out" for 100"+ or a solid 3.5yr old+......that's not so tough. Don't get me wrong, though.....I've hunted 120+ times the last 3 seasons.....and I've seen exactly TWO that fit that bill, here.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mobow, I sincerely apologize if I in any way made you feel wrong for hunting any way you want. Certainly, that was not at all my intention because you are not wrong. Everyone should do exactly what you do and that is hunt the way they enjoy. I have just gotten more into the "targeting" of bucks because I have cameras now that tell me what is around. I really didn't search these guys out. They are just the ones that I know that are around that I will be after. A lot like you actually only I get a "sneak peek" at them before hand
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive always said it anyway, shoot what make YOU happy Ill be the first to give congrats unless someone beats me to it Personally im going to hold out for a 3.5 this season or better even if i eat my tag. Ill tag does for my fix
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

huntingson, you haven't, nor has anyone else. My only point to this, speaking from experience, is that we can put an awful lot of pressure on ourselves, and EACH OTHER. When we talk about bucks, we generally talk about BIG bucks, and expectations, and goals, and targeting certain bucks.

ALL I'm saying is that I sometimes think we inadvertantly put undo pressure on ourselves sometimes, thinking, all be it subconsciously, that we have to shoot a certain size buck to be ......"accepted"....

Now let me follow that up by saying that Iknow this isn't true, I've never seen anyone here "reprimanded" for shooting a small buck. In fact, there's congrats all around and pats on the back a plenty......BUT, let's face it. We have a what? Buck contest in which the winning team is determined by what? Most inches. When bucks are talked about, it's the "big" bucks that are talked about, holding out for the big one.....

When someone in our "family" shoots a buck.....it's ALWAYS a celebration, no matter the size......I just think sometimes we need to take a step back and put things in persepective. Go out and have fun. When the right one walks by, shoot the thing.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with just shooting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.