Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define a "top end".....

Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you define a "top end".....

I am not sure of %'s but I would say a "top end" buck in any area is going to be 4 1/2 years of age or older in any area!!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scott - I guess I use the term "top end" loosely. I'd say anything that will put younear the top of the leaderboardin the local buck pool would be "top end."

Top 10-15" probably.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I view "top end" in relation to what I see on the properties I hunt either through scouting or trail cams or spotlighting. If I'm seeing a lot of scrappy 1.5 year olds and there are 2 or 3 2.5 and maybe a 3.5 year old those are my "top end" bucks. They stand out from the others. Now those deer may not qualify as the "top end" on another property, and may qualify as unheard of on yetanother. If it stands out from the "norm" on a property then to me it's top end for that property and thus a target.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good post Bry!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM

I would call it top 10% EVER killed in your area.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair enough, DC.....

But what you're saying is.........MANYyears a hunter has NO CHANCE of killing a "top end" buck (according to your definition).

Nothing wrong with that.....but it seems a dismal outlook to the season.....and just trying to clarify.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Around here the easiest way to tell is by looking at edges of their birth certificates,if they are torn & tattered you know hes been around a while and been carded for several years by less than knowledgeable hunters whom couldn't properly age he.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Fair enough, DC.....

But what you're saying is.........MANYyears a hunter has NO CHANCE of killing a "top end" buck (according to your definition).

Nothing wrong with that.....but it seems a dismal outlook to the season.....and just trying to clarify.

Yep, thats what I'm saying. To me, a top end deer is once in lifetime, if that often... Its one of those bucks that people remember and talk about for years....

I've yet to kill one.

I don't really see it as dismal... It really just proves how rare they are. I don't start the season with the goal of killing a top end buck. I just want a CHANCE at a nice deer for my area.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Can't argue with that description/definition. Good luck to ya.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I consider top end the best 6-8%. Which would bejudgedin three differentcategories, 4 1/2+ year old, 150+ inches or filed dress 220+ lbs. This standard is just fore myregion andsubject to change for other regions. I also base the top end onyear to year, if it were based on all-time for my region the weight and inches would be much higher.

Quick Reply: How do you define a "top end".....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.