Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you define a "top end".....

Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you define a "top end".....

Where my house is and I do most of my hunting I would define top end as the top 1% of the bucks taken in my area. I can't say what % of mature bucks taken because there really aren't enough mature bucks taken every year to know. Most people around here are "buck" hunters. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes it difficult to compare.

I live in Preble county Buckeye, and I am sure you are aware that we are one of, if not the lowest producer of "trophy" bucks in the state. However, if a buck here could live to see 4.5 or 5.5 I guarentee that he would be an absolute brute. It is just so seldom that they are able to live that long. I would say in 22 years of hunting here, and my father more like 30, we have seen a total of 10-12 bucks that were in that age group.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

"Top end" (to me) would be oneof the top2-3 bucks in the woods I hunt. I'd consider a(fill in the blank")4.5 yr old half-rack MORE "top end" than a 110" 2.5 yr old.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets see...I initally was going to say 10% but that really isnt quite right...that is 10 out of every 100 bucks, which is really what I estimate to be about the proportion of 3.5+ year old bucks to total bucks in my area...in other words, that would be any 'mature' buck. So...I would say 'top' end bucks would be around 2%...or in other words, the top 20% of mature bucks.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"Top end" (to me) would be oneof the top2-3 bucks in the woods I hunt. I'd consider a(fill in the blank")4.5 yr old half-rack MORE "top end" than a 110" 2.5 yr old.
So would Rob[8D]
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dinkster Dictionary [ A top end buck in my area would be considered 5.5 years on up, crop land fed and has been schooled for many years by careless hunters therfore being allowed the time to maximize wittyness, size and evasiveness] <spelling sucks
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So would Rob[8D]
Is that the Gospel??

LMAO!!!

Dan
Old 07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would consider any buck that is an exceptional deer for my area to be a top end buck. Meaning, any buck that has more than the normal amount of headgear. Does not matter if it is a mature deer or not. If he is an exception to the norm, he is considered top end to me.

LT
Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 PM

I would say top end would be nearing the biggest buck roaming your part of the country. So, I would have to say top 5%. Then would fall above average, average, and below average.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

He has to be in the top 10% of his class...
Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

To me a top end buck would be in the upper 3% to 5% in his area. By no means would this mean a 3.5 year old. This would be 4.5's and up.

Quick Reply: How do you define a "top end".....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.