Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What kind of food do you take to the stand?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What kind of food do you take to the stand?

Usually PB&J sammiches, an apple or two, and perhaps a chewy granola bar. In warm weather I tend to still hunt more and don't often bring food unless I plan to be out for more than a few hours.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I usually hunt all day. When I do, I bring one or more of the following:
peanut butter and banana sandwich
shelled pistachios – I find that they are great to store in my cheek (like a squirrel) and just slowly snack on them throughout the day without any visible movement
granola or energy bar (or three)

Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Site Bouncer

If I'm in the stand all day I usually bring along beef jerky, a PBJ sandwich and a granola bar of sorts. Just enough to get me through the day.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually bring a few apples, maybe a granola bar, and some water. I usually do not eat anything. But I do chew gum (the only time of the year for me). If I plan on being on stand for a very long time, I like peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was really looking forward to hearing John's list given the dimensions of his physical being.I thought there would be multiple sandwiches,granola bars,fruit,blended protein drinks etc..Instead we get tuna on rice cakes with bottled water.
I am so disillusioned! John you aren't going to harm me if we ever meet are you?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mainly just granola bars.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I was really looking forward to hearing John's list given the dimensions of his physical being.I thought there would be multiple sandwiches,granola bars,fruit,blended protein drinks etc..Instead we get tuna on rice cakes with bottled water.
I am so disillusioned! John you aren't going to harm me if we ever meet are you?
LOL!!

No, I'm really not a big eater when I'm hunting and I won't eat it all at one time so as to avoid the "crash" you get when your body digests the sugars and carbs. I want to stay alert and that's another reason why I stay away from sugars and complex carbs when I choose my snacks. The "jelly" in the PBJ is a natural preserve and the bread is low carb. This keeps the complex carbs (ones without fiber content) down and prevents that tired feeling you get about an hour after you eat. That along with nibbling throughout the day (no big meal) will go a long way in preventing that from happening.

Sadly, I wish I could tell you I have a big appetite and eat a lotbut I really don't.......What I do have is the metabolism of a snail![&:]
Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it is all about metabolism.I am 6' 1" and 175 lbs. and I eat like a rescued POW.I guess I should be thankful.I do eat healthy though,no deserts,very little bread etc.
When I am hunting it depends upon how long I am going to be out and how cold it is.On an all day hunt I will have one big sandwich a piece of fruit and two or three healthy snack bars,some times I will mix raisins with raw almonds or peanuts for some quick energy.
If my metabolism ever slows down I will be in trouble.When I was in high school my buddies and I would stop at a diner I would order and the waitress would walk away,she thought I was ordering for the table.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: tsoc

When I was in high school my buddies and I would stop at a diner I would order and the waitress would walk away,she thought I was ordering for the table.
LOL!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's everybody wantto be a Ule Gibbons with the Granola bars?I pack a ham and cheese, Gatorade, cookies, and a Snickers bar. Ya gotta have a Snickers bar! This is for an all day hunt of course.

Quick Reply: What kind of food do you take to the stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.