Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

employment oppurtunitys

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: employment oppurtunitys

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I was thikning about an archery shop also i love hanging out at the local one and shooting the breeze.
At this point, I've got to pause and ask... Is any of this sinking in? I mean, you've had page after page of literally some of the best advice dispensed here on HNI in years... seriously. So much so that I'd give the entire THREAD an honorary rack award if I were capable.

From Wash Hunter and GMMAT's great posts, to even the sound advice from Va shadow about working toward your degree in the day and busting your balls in chasing after your dreams at night... There's a couple pearls of wisdom around thoughts like that: One goes something like "You make a living from 9-5; you make a lifestyle from 5-9." In other words, it's the "above and beyond" that will get you to where you want to go and how you want to live.

I started this post with the above quote because it appears you're not taking some of the information to heart; if you want to hunt a lot, DON'T work in the industry -- at least from a service standpoint. As a columnist for a major national archery publication, I talk with and interview a lot of shop owners as well as others in the industry. It's already been said, but guess when they're the busiest? During hunting season.

I mentioned in my first reply that I work in outside sales primarily. Yes, I'm heavily involved in the industry as well, sitting on eight manufacturer's national pro staffs in addition to the writing I do. You've got to realize it's always been very tempting to move away from something like medical sales into a bona fide position within our industry... but I would lose my hunting seasons, not to mention probably 1/3 of my income.

GMMAT had a plethora of great points, as did almost every single poster. In fact, Jeff and I share very similar backgrounds. Like him in golf, I played tennis at an extremely competitive level. I was eventually recruited by a couple universities to come participate in their summer camps and help teach. Guess what suffered? My personal game...

As a typical boy growing up in the Midwest, I obviously loved sports... considered (and still do) myself very athletic. During my senior year of journalism school, I landed a job at the state's largest daily independent newspaper as a full-time sportswriter. Yep, you guessed it... after a couple years, I could have cared less if I ever saw another sporting event again. They all became one, droning on into the next one...

Someone mentioned it doesn't necessarily take a college degree, and they're right -- but you'd better be in the right vehicle if you're going to forsake that ingredient. Traditional business owners almost always have only one-half of the equation: money. See, it takes two things to do what you're speaking of -- TIME and money. THAT'S why I'm in outside sales, period. Yes, as you can imagine I make a darn good living in medical sales. But if it didn't have the autonomy, the flexibility that goes along with that -- I wouldn't be doing it.

Service-oriented businesses or professionals that trade hours for dollars to earn ther living by default can only have one-half of the equaion; they can either have lots of hours, or lots of dollars -- the forumula won't allow for both. To do that, you've got to find another vehicle, one that allows you to create multiple "yous". Or -- and the simplest way of all... find a profession that allows you to take your vacations or time off during hunting season -- a time when you're not needed as much.

Working in an archery shop (as an example) is not that profession. I could expound further on several points, but I'm driving and about to run out of decent cell-phone (laptop) coverage.

It will eventually sink in. I grew up watching both my parents work very hard even with college educations andclose to his age I decided I didn't really need one either. I worked my butt off at a low-paying job for1 and a half years before I went tocollege. Itookcollege very seriously after that, becauseI knew where I wouldbeif i ever flunked out. Graduated with honorsand never looked back, thanks to my parent's college fund for me. Believe them when they tell you that you need some sort of education!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowman4440

I can be the "fence" if he is trying to keep deer out. . No but really im stuck here in south jersey and im really trying to get out to the midwest. maybe ohio kansas illinois iowa idaho anywhere out that way maybe even as far as montana.
Idaho is further than montan just FYI
Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

So much great advice so far.

I'll tell you what I've done, and what I WISHED I'd done.

I went to college, worked hard, and got a good job with an employer who paid 100% of the cost to get my masters degree. It's not easy, but any time somebody else will pay for you to go to college, you HAVE TO DO IT.

Although I can't complain too much, I am quickly realizing that as long as you work for somebody else, you will never be rich and you'll never have enough free time. So, the whole idea is to work for yourself. Be your own boss. That could mean real estate investing, or starting your own business, or whatever. It might take 5,10 or 20 years, but eventually if you succeed you will have all the time and money you want.

And I've got to believe that people who work to grow their own businesses are much happier overall than people who work to make other people rich.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:43 AM

If you like being outdoors, still want to have money to pay the bills, and don't want to turn your passion into your work, I would consider the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. You'd make good money as a Patrol Agent, and you'd get to be outdoors, live in areas that don't cost a lot to live and be close to some of the best big game hunting in the country. Just a thought. At the end of the day, it needs to be your calling. Good luck and God bless.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you guys so much, and yes this information is hitting home, VERY hard. I am realizing that i have to finally be an adult and step up to the plate. I have been talking to some friends of my parents and some older friends that are prison guards and that is looking half decent I jsut don't want to be stuck in New Jersey for the next 30 years. This is some of the best advice I have seen on here in a while and im glad to be a part of this post. You all are helping me so much and i really appreciate it. you all are right about working in the "Industry" it really doesn't sound like a good idea to make something that i love so much my Job then it would be like i was forced to do it, and no one likes to be forced to do anything. Thank you again and anymore advice/insight you all have please let it fly i am very interested in hearing all of it. Thank you agan I can't say it enough!