Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to hunting

Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Default New to hunting

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and new to hunting. I went bow hunting with some friends, but I didn't do any "hunting" I just kinda watched.

I want to get into Bow Hunting much more, as, it was very exciting to watch/tag along, i couldn't imagine what it would be like to actually HUNT!

My question is, what is ALL the gear that I need? What equipment do I need to get my started bow hunting, like, Bow suggestions, any sort of camoflage suggestions, just all the essentials. I don't want to get crappy gear, Idon't want extremely expensive gear either. So any other help is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, any brand names that are good, and brand names to stay away from would also be helpful.
And what are some reputable retailers?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New to hunting

well whats your price range on your bow?
where are you hunting? then we can guide you in the right direction on camos.

welcome to the forums
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM

I'm hunting in Michigan, Northern Michigan.
Price range is.... I don't know, maybe around $400-600 give or take
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

man, thats a big price range, MANY different models in that range. the best advice i can give you, is to find a local archery shop, and go shoot as many different brands and models of bows that you can. just tell them that youre new, they should know to measure your draw length, etc..

as for camo, im not from up there, not sure of the camo that would work best. but we do have a lot of guys from up in minnisota, wisconsin, and michigan. im sure they can get you guided in the right direction with that.

good luck!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to our addiction. But yea not even close to you but camo wise i really like the Realtree brand. they put out a great product and are a good bunch of guys. Cabela's, BAss pro shops, Gander Mountain, Those are all really repitable dealers. As for bows like Rory/MO said you hit the biggest price range, many great bows in that price range. I myself shoot a Hoyt i really like them. Also check out Bowtech, Matthews, Fred Bear. All make some good bows. You will see how many choices you have once you get out there and looking. Happy hunting.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You aren't anywhere near Traverse City are you? There used to be a decent bow shop there. I think there is one in Kalkaska too.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Spike

hey lacrosse,
I take it $600 is what your willing to spend on evrything you need...not just the bow correct? either way you can some pretty good equipment for that. For a bow, I'd look into PSE Nova, it's a good bow and fairly cheap. Try to find something that comes as a package. I think bowtech makes a pretty good package bow that cheap...I can't remember the name right now. Any major sporting goods store can get you set up with a decent quality bow and a dozen arrows for right around $400. MUzzy broadheads are cheap, easy to use and very effective. As far as a stand, check your local sporting goods stores for sales on a hang-on. You can usually pick one up for about $40 on sale. You don't really need anything too fancy. For camo, get a lighter jacket and pants and just layer up real good when it gets cold. I hunt in northern MN and never have a problem with the cold as long as I've got a bunch of layers on...stay away from anything too bulky. Don't be too concerned with what type of pattern to wear, any mossy oak or realtree pattern will work to get you started.
Hope this helps.
remember to practice a ton and have fun, teaching yourself to bowhunt is very, very challenging, but also very rewarding
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Ok thanks alot guys,
To Bemidjihunter: I'm willing to spend about $800-$1000 on everything I need, I was just talking about a bow, I just want some quality stuff, my friends have been teaching me to use their stuff alittle bit, I've been out tagging along and helping out and what not when they hunt, and I really enjoy it.

To nctaxi: No, I'm in Grosse Pointe Woods, a suburb north of detroit. I would probably go up to Traverse city and around that area to hunt, I have family up there that hunts and camps etc. etc.

I think I'll just hit up Cabela's and look around my local sporting goods store, play around with stuff and see what they guys at the desk have to say
Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Lacrosse4life31
I think I'll just hit up Cabela's and look around my local sporting goods store, play around with stuff and see what they guys at the desk have to say
Thats probably the best thing for you to do.

Welcome to a great sport! and welcome to the forums as well.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest a smaller independant pro shop,ideally one recommended to you by someone you trust.In the beginning you especially need someone who is goin gto be straight with you and not just sell you some thing to get it off their shelf.In addition you want some one who knows how to fit you properly,because that is so critical to getting off on the right foot.

Quick Reply: New to hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.