Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethical fawn question?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethical fawn question?

ORIGINAL: mofireman

I also don't believe this is an "ethics" thread! There is nothing about shooting a fawn with spots/no spots that is illegal that I am aware of.
You are wrong. There are states that outlaw taking spotted fawns. LA. is one for sure. It may be legal where you are, but it's not legal in every state. Once the last spot is gone, it's the hunters choice.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT has posted a copy of an email he received a reply to from his local game biologist. I don't remember what the exact time frame was, but....It was very clear that by the time fall rolled around the fawns are perfectly capable of fending for themselves.
Don's correct...and I live in a state where the season opens in early September.

Just a personal decision.....and NOT based on "ethics"....if it doesnt have spots....mama AND the doe are fair game. No issues if you shoot one with spots, either. But can I get an invitation to dinner?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have at it all you want, from what i have read, after about 3 months old, which is the age when they switch to hard foods full time, they are able to live on their own.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I will probably get flamed for this,but why kill a fawn?

Most guys on here hunt for the challenge and I just don't see the challenge in a fawn. Plus, the fawn will produce more deer in the future, right? I could understand whacking a fawn if disease or population issues were a problem. Either way, I'm not going to get upset.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I know I will probably get flamed for this,but why kill a fawn?
I'm not gonna flame you. Instead...I'll educate you.

I kill female fawns for these reasons......

Plus, the fawn will produce more deer in the future, right?
I could understand whacking a fawn if disease or population issues were a problem.
I cite the latter in your second scenario.

Plus.....it's legal. They taste great! And......"Challenge" never enters into the equation.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:52 AM

deer populations increase every year...even with hunting....fawns + bow= meat on the table. shoot what you want, pass up what you want....there just deer.. dang... you could be the first trophy spike hunter j/k. some hunters don't get the same amount of time in the woods as others, there fore they might not be as selective when it comes time to shoot.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:02 PM

In PA here last year they opened a doe only season for 2 weeks before the open of the actual archery season. I saw a fawn with visible spots in september. I would not shoot the doe.. I didnt feel comfortable.. I will shoot a yearling/fawn doe that year vs the mature doe. How do you know that the fawn will be able to re produce? Im not saying I always shoot small/young doe just something a wildlife biologist said during a meeting at my gun club.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least in this area, by early September the fawns are feeding by themselves in the field next to my house, so I would think they are good to go.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get multiple antlerless tags, the fawns make great table fare! Just a good idea to let the bb's pass,never know if he'll grow into the next booner.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great eating!! Not to mentiona REAL EASY DRAG.Any antlerless deer is legal in Pa.

Quick Reply: Ethical fawn question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.