Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand opinions

Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Treestand opinions

I'm looking to get either the Lone Wolf Assault Hang on (8 lbs) or the the Gorilla Silverback Scout (8 lbs) to carry in and out during hunting season. The Gorilla is quite a bit cheaper than the Lone Wolf, almost half. What are your thoughts on both? Also, can you put a Gorilla seat on a Lone Wolf stand?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand opinions

If I could afford it, I'd take the Lone Wolf.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:27 AM

I like Gorilla stands but Ibuy the king kong.

I've had light weight stands before and they squeeked once the weather turned. Granted mine was a rivers edge something or other. I tossed 2 rivers edge in the dumpster this winter because I got tired of the routine.

I've found the gorilla to be a tight stand. I love them.

This probably doesn't help you though as you are packing and looking for light weight.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just purchased a lone wolf assault,and it is by far the best made stand I have ever had.I definitely will be carrying an extra seat cushionthough,because the lone wolf seat cushion is very thin.
I will also be looking at a loc-on wind walker that is 51/2 pounds for a super light throw on my back stand.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the weight being equal.... I would have to go with comfort.... if you aren't comfortable it will make for a long day...

Those complaining about squeaky stands.... take them apart and add teflon washers.... Then you will have no metal on metal contact points..... [&:]
[/align]
Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

This doesn't answer your question necesarily, but I purchased the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber last year, and I just love it! It's the first climber that I've ever purchased, but it has been well worth the $300+ that I invested in it!

I also purchased the longer traction belts (optional) so that I can use the climber on larger diameter trees too. I found that the 19" diameter tree limitation with the stock belts didn't always work best for me, so I opted to buy the longer traction belts as well, and I've never had to turn away from a tree anymore because the traction belts weren't long enough.

This thing is 15# total weight and collapses to no more than 2" thick when it's on your back. I mean my fanny pack almost weighs more than the climber does! Great product, great design.

Go with the Lone Wolf brand...you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both are Great stands IMHO. I have mostly Gorilla Stands now and I have no complaint. I have their small Aluminum stand I use for packing in and packing out. I have No complaints at all. Quiet and very Comfy!

Dan
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Lone Wolf Alpha Assault hang-on stand, and I love it. They're not cheap, but they're very well made, IMHO. Very light (8.5 lbs) and completely silent. Lone Wolf makes their platforms out of a single piece of cast aluminum, so there are no welds or other connections to creak. They use plastic or teflon washers, so no noise there, either. And the stand is not hollow, like some are.Hollow stands are light, but make more noise. My only complaint about the Lone Wolf stand is the seat cushion is pretty hard. Thinking about adding some kind of padding to it this year.

Lone Wolf is very smart about how they design their stands. In addition to being very light, they pack down almost flat. Also, their climbing sticks are very light. My four 32” sticks (each with three steps)weigh only 10 lbs, total (easily gets me up to ~ 16 feet), with each step flipping to either right or left, depending on what you need. They also don’t interlock when you attach them to the tree, which makes them useful in more situations (V trees, bent trees, etc.). And the sticks are made to spoon with each other and fit onto the Lone Wolf stand when you’re carrying it.

So, I’m able to carry my stand and four 32” sticks up the mountain where I hunt very easily (total weight = 18.5 lbs).

My 2 cents
Old 07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be trying my Lone wolf alpha this fall. I have tree fixed stands already up with the lone wolf being the ace in the hole for fine tuning my set-ups.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought an Assault for up north. Great stand! Very light and real secure, as are all LW stands.