Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Listen to this!

Old 03-02-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Listen to this!

I saw a post on here a while back about a bow shooting 400 fps. Well this weekend i was down in moultrie Ga at the southern wildlife exposition and i wandered up on a HIgh Country Archery booth. THis is the company that supposedly has these wondereous bows. So i start talking to the sales rep and he had a pretty convincing story..the bows are made of carbon so they can stand to shoot a very light arrow without damage or cracking the riser. So I/m standing ther watching his video.. and they say these bows can e dry fired 10,000 times before developing a crack. THen add thier super duper light arrow and they got 403 fps out of the combo....? He also adds that penetration iis not a problem and they bows are extreemely quite. So........400 fps, very quiet, durable, and well built....hmmmm sounds pretty good...price is kinda high compared to aluminum, risers...I still have my doubts though......So what do you guys think? Is this a good bow or a marketing trick?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:13 AM

Default RE: Listen to this!

What you witnessed is the self destruction of a once very good company, at a speed greater than 400 fps.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I' ll stick to my Mathews. Speed ain' t all that great a friend in the field. Yes it has its advantages but without mass behind the speed penetration will not be that great.

Besides here in Washington State we are required by law to use arrows that are a minimum of 6 gr per pound of draw weight and mechakicals are not legal either.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Same here, In Idaho mechanicals are illegal as well you must shoot no less than 400grn of arrow wt.

Although I must admit that' s one fast bow. Might as well be shooting a crossbow.

Elknut1
Old 03-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Spike

Not sure whether this will help you decide on the High Country, but i read this comment on another web site.

We just got back from the AMO Show. When we first went in the show on Friday, we were eager see how High Country was making the claim that they were shooting 400+ fps. We went to their shooting booth and discovered the whole thing was indeed a crock. They were shooting this super lightweight arrow, something like 3 g/p/p through the chrony and getting 360-380 fps out of one of their carbon riser bows.

Spencer Lund was there personally, with his usual jet-black dyed beard and Garth Brooks hat. He even helped as they setup and strapped one of their carbon-roiser bows into their dry-fire demonstration machine. This machine basically draws and dry-fires a bow over and over. The point of the demonstration was to show that HCA bows were so tough that they could withstand the lighter arrows (similar to dry firing) and THAT' S why they could shoot 400+ fps.

With the machine now in action, Spencer proudly got through bragging about how many " thousands of dry-fires" this bow had undergone. And as all us skeptics watched the demonstration now underway......rrrrrrrrr-pop, rrrrrrrrr-pop, rrrrrrrrr-pop, rrrrrrrrrr-pop.......... disaster struck.

A couple dozen dry-fires into the demonstration and rrrrrrrrrrr-KABOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!! The carbon 4-runner (or whatever model it was) blew into a hundred pieces. Chunks of fiberglass even flew up and out of the top of the machine, landing at our feet. The whole crowd kind of went " Whooooahh!!!" in one big reactive recoil. Then we just stood there....stunned ....too embarrassed FOR them to say much else. Spencer tried to downplay it like it was all part of the show or something. But that was all everyone needed to see.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:55 PM

I would have loved to have been there for that!
Old 03-02-2003, 09:15 PM

rrrrrrrrr pop, rrrrrrrrrr pop. kkkaaaabbooooooommmmmm PRICELESS.
i would of loved to seen the expression on his face at that moment.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-02-2003, 11:19 PM

That story is bull... They way the booth was setup nothing could come out.....The bow itself did not fail...the string broke cuasing a limb to break.....How many bows out there would not break a limb if that happened?...They are shooting light arrows their arrows that they make out of the same carbon that they use for there risers.....Is it smart no....but get your facts right before you blow smoke.... I am not a HCA man and I think they are going the wrong way for their bussiness...But I heard this story earlier and didnt say anything...But for the guys that wasnt there ..They had a safe area were nothing could get out if and when a bow blew...Again did you see all the strings they brought...Why..Because they knew they were going to break...I forgot how many shots that string had on it before it broke.....I just love how stories get started and have that snowball effect

krisken think of the ke you could get out of that thing
Old 03-03-2003, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

if that story is bull thenit was all a grandillusioncause it just so happens that I saw the same thing at the Indy show.It happened I sAw it

Quick Reply: Listen to this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.