Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any of you ever hunt next to a major highway?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any of you ever hunt next to a major highway?

Ok guys, to make a long story short, I hunt on a base with some pressure...above average pressure. There are some good bucks that are on the base, but they are very hard to pinpoint and rarely show themselves. I have narrowed down some areas on my map that include some places that are really close to a major highway(perfectly legal on the base I hunt).

I have at least two places that I have found that I just know, noone in their right mind would frequent, and I bet due that reason that some good bucks roam those areas with a little more frequency than other areas.

I have some questions for you guys:

1) Since it is July, what types of things should I look for when scouting these new places? I know alot of the old rubs are hard to find. Do you guys believe that hoof track sizes give an indication of the size of the deer? Bedding areas? Food source?

2) If I do find sign in these areas, what types of strategies should I employ? The places I hunt do not produce alot of daytime buck sightings and I am committed to doing what it takes to get on some nice deer this year, or at least upping my chances of being around them.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Brett
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any of you ever hunt next to a major highway?

Even though you'll scout now the patterns may change drastically when fall comes along. I try to do most of my scouting in the winter/early spring while turkey hunting. Everything is more obvious then.
BTW, one of my stands is near a very busy suburban rd with a lot of traffic.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to scout alot right after the hunting season as well Andy, but since I just found these areas recently, I have to make some scouting adjustments. I know it will be hard to get the best type of scouting right now, but I need to slip into these areas a couple of times to get a general feel. I am hoping this will pay off. I might be off, but I calculated that more than likely, most people won't come within 500+ yards of the areas I plan on hunting next to the highway.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I used to hunt right alongside I-90 in Northern IL. I parked right along the highway fence.

In my experience: a) The deer paid no attention to the highway traffic.They would treat it as sort of a safe zone. (as in, they knew not much would come after them from that direction.) b) They rarely crossed the highway so I could use it as an 'unnatural' pinch point. c)Dudes in semis often honked when they saw me.

As far as your other questions, I've foundthebest habitat isusuallyheld by thedoes, the older bucks will often be in marginal stuff (usually thicker, nastier stuff). Find a location between food and bedding areas that you can get in and out of without being detected and you'll be set.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO trying to scout sign during the summer is extremely tough. Foilage is grown up making it difficult to decifer sign, and like the good doctor said, patterns change between summer food to bed and fall pre-rut and rut. I would personally use some scouting cameras to get an idea of the type of deer in the area, perhaps try to glass some feed fields if available, and that's about it for in-the-field scouting. Then I would look at a topo map for potential travel corridors and hang/hunt when the season starts. I would start on the outskirts and areas I thought were good potential bed to food routes, then move in on movement as I saw it unfold during my hunts.

But of course I don't have a wall fall of monster bucks so my opinion may be null and void around here.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Christine. I have thought about the highway as being a natural funnel. I just have to find another terrain feature on the other side to pinch their movement even tighter. I am going to look it over next weekend and bring my camera with me. I will show you guys what I see here and there, so maybe you guys could give me some advice. I am excited about these areas. I have hunted on this base for the last 8 years and just found these spots after finally really scrutinizing the base map.

Any idea when to hunt this type of place. If it doesn't get alot of pressure, then maybe I could hunt these places throughout the season, maybe once a week or so at the max? Or should I just lay off until gun season, when I know they will be pressured back into these spots?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I would try and locate some mast producing trees in your area,these are sure to draw in the deer when the acorns start to fall.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Justin--"would personally use some scouting cameras to get an idea of the type of deer in the area, perhaps try to glass some feed fields if available, and that's about it for in-the-field scouting."

This is all big woods stuff minus a few decent streams that run through these areas...no fields or anything for a mile or so. Maybe I could slip next to the highway and use the noise of the vehicles to quiet my glassing in August/September? If I stayed close to the highway, the exhaust would probably help conceal my scent as well. Just thinking outloud.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt right along a I-55 in MO. I drew a yellow rectangle around a cleared strip that deer travel. The red dot is one of the stands that I have in the area. It's the closest I have to the interstate, roughly 80 yards away. I've had great success there.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

When scouting or checking cams I would try to walk into the woods from the highway side. My brother hunts an area like this and he has pushed deer out toward the highway on accident.. He's minus a good buck this year. ;-)

Quick Reply: Any of you ever hunt next to a major highway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.