Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who should get to vote?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Who should get to vote?

When it comes to hunting relating matters, should everyone have a say, licensed hunters, politicians, or other? For example: in West Virginia, the only few counties that allow Sunday hunting didn't vote on it, and it was just passed. The counties that did vote on it (everyoneincludingnon-hunting public)gotvoted down.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who should get to vote?

Hunting laws affect more than just hunters. It affetcs land owners, people who hike in state and naitonal forests, etc. I really really want Virginia to have Sunday hunting, but my best friend (and hunting buddy) and his wife both want a "hunting free" day so they can walk in the national forest without fear of getting plugged by a drunken hunter (gun, not bow). My solution (which won't ever happen) is to have Sunday hunting only in bow season.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MountainHunter

Hunting laws affect more than just hunters. It affetcs land owners, people who hike in state and naitonal forests, etc. I really really want Virginia to have Sunday hunting, but my best friend (and hunting buddy) and his wife both want a "hunting free" day so they can walk in the national forest without fear of getting plugged by a drunken hunter (gun, not bow). My solution (which won't ever happen) is to have Sunday hunting only in bow season.
X2 the law affects everyone but if possible give extra attention to the people who are paying for it. us
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone that has the right to vote!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

I agree that the laws affect more than hunters so everyone should vote on new laws and regulations.

But I tell ya what. If I want to buy a case of Natty Boh, go sit in my stand with my Barrett .50cal sniper rifle and shotgun a few beers before daylight, those politicians better let me cause I pay for my license damnit! Them damn pansie-ass hikers can just walk around their back yard I tell ya.

/sarcasm
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way.... people who walk, hike etc etc have 8 hunting free MONTHS (10.5 if we are just talking firearms deer.... and thats in places that don't have two weeks seasons). That arguement does not sit well with me because that land is paid for and the wild game and fish of our state managed SOLELY by the license dollars of hunters and anglers.

It makes me mad enough that the state keeps taking funding away from the DGIF because of dumbass Jim Gilmore and his ploy of "NO CAR TAX" just to get elected governor. He offered to take a big dump on our state and all the voters just opened their hands to receive it.... as if the money was going to come from somewhere else.... his models were based solely on the continued progress of the economy boom of the 1990s.....any economist with half a brain can tell you that periods of exponential growth don't last forever... and the economy works in waves...so in wake of that Mark Warner (who was really our best governor in the last two decades) and now Tim Kaine have got a big pile of crap to clean up.... our roads are getting poor, our bridges are getting dangerous... our state's budget is getting thrown out of whack.... all because folks didn't want to pay car tax....(end rant).

As it is, just like the right to vote for a stupid west end Richmond lawyer for governor.... everyone HAS the right to vote on hunting related matters....as much as I hate to say it.... but it has to be that way... can't pick and choose.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

I agree that the laws affect more than hunters so everyone should vote on new laws and regulations.

But I tell ya what. If I want to buy a case of Natty Boh, go sit in my stand with my Barrett .50cal sniper rifle and shotgun a few beers before daylight, those politicians better let me cause I pay for my license damnit! Them damn pansie-ass hikers can just walk around their back yard I tell ya.

IF we ever see Sunday hunting in VA... it will probably run similar to South Carolina... where Sunday hunting is allowed on private land only. That compremise would be just fine with me... I'd actually prefer to keep duck hunting a 6 day-a-week game.... I have to sleep and eat sometime... and if the season is in.... I have to go.... its like a drug.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

SwampCollie,

As much as I agree with you regarding Gilmore (and you are dead on re: economic projections...I'm an economist by training), I have to point out that National Forests are not maintained with our license fees. It's Federal money. I also consider that someone walking in the woods doesn't endanger my life like some drunk gun hunters do. It's the old "few bad apples" problem.

BTW: LOVE your tag line! (from F&LILV, right?)
Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to point out that National Forests are not maintained with our license fees. It's Federal money.
Not license fees, for sure, but... A good deal of that money comes from the Pittman-Robertson tax on guns, bows, arrows, ammunition, etc. Paid by sportsmen.

As to who gets to vote, isn't that what all the fuss is about in Zimbabwe? Ol' Mugabe over there has figured out it's pretty easy to win an election when he decides who gets to vote. All dictators know that, actually. This is a free country. All get to vote.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say that since most states fight for a budget to fund any outdoor activity, that its the right of all voters to have a say in where that money goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.