Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Uh oh...is this normal?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Uh oh...is this normal?

I was out shooting my bow when i noticed something weird. When i started to pull back this part started to slide out and scraped the paint work. Also my peep sight is slight turned to the right and isn't centred when im aiming. I'm just wondering if this is normal and im worrying too much.

This black part has been moving up and down

Does that look faulty?

I thought it was going to slide off and smack me in the face.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Uh oh...is this normal?

The black piece is supposed to slide back and forth. As far as your peep twisting, that is your strings being used, just stretching and drawing. May do this due to being new, may be the change in climate. There are a lot of reasons it can twist.

chris

Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi, thanks for replying so quickly. Its been really hot here today. Though i've just never noticed that black thing moving down the rod. Can it come off? Or is it designed to go so far?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

The black part is your cable slide and it's supposed to slide back and forth on the cable guard rod. You've got to clean them once in awhile. Take it off and use alcohol to wipe down the cable guard and put some on a q-tip to clean the inside of the slide.

It should not have any effect on your peep rotation though. That is caused by string and/or cable creep. While you've got the bow relaxed to clean up the slide, go ahead and adjust your string/cable lengths and get your peep oriented correctly again.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've noticed my string getting a bit fuzzy too i'll need to get wax.

I take it my bow is pretty hardy and durable then?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Yep, all normal. You can also rotate the knots on your string loop so that when you draw, the peep will be square.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet, thanks guys. I know I know, I'm a panic merchant. I just worry about my bow, I don't want anything happening to it and im also a newbie too.

Do you know when i should wax my string? Is it the whole strings/cables or just the part you pull from?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

I remember when I bought my bow and had it set up at the pro-shop, the guy told me you can never wax your strings too much or too aften...unless you see excessive buildup on the strings or on the cams. I usually wax mine every3-4 times shooting. It will definately help your wax from becoming "fuzzy".

The peep sounds like your new string is just strecthing slightly, try adjusting the knot on your loop, as suggested.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM

Wax the whole thing. Just rub a light coating on and rub it in. I wax mine every week, whether it needs it or not. Keeping that string moist will get the max life out of your strings, and in your particular case, replacing a busted string may be quite difficult.