Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind Checkers?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wind Checkers?

What good does that do you.....once you're on stand.....if you're not prepared to getdown and move?
Be sure to read my disclaimer before reading this.

I don't think that knowing wind direction is just about getting down and moving assuming you only hunt from an elevated stand. But for me personally I'd like to know where my scent will definetely be and where I can expect to get busted.

Two examples, I had the wind blowing directly into one of my major lanes. I had a buck coming down a trail that crossed two of the lanes. I let him have it in the first lane before he ever got to the main lane. FWIW the major lane would have been a bettershot but I was not going to chance it.

Second example, I had the wind blowing into a lane. I had a buck come directlyunder my tree and get into that same lane. The bucks noseraised and I'm sure he was busting me. But I knew where the scent was being blown andI let him have it the secondhe raised his nose. If I would have waited at all he would have been gone.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very good post, Bob... and I certainly use them in that regard as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta get one of those wind checkers Matt has......they are pretty cool. I usually have a lighter in my pack when in the woods to check wind, but it isn't going to show you thermals like that little puff will.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't think that knowing wind direction is just about getting down and moving assuming you only hunt from an elevated stand. But for me personally I'd like to know where my scent will definetely be and where I can expect to get busted.

Two examples, I had the wind blowing directly into one of my major lanes. I had a buck coming down a trail that crossed two of the lanes. I let him have it in the first lane before he ever got to the main lane. FWIW the major lane would have been a bettershot but I was not going to chance it.

Second example, I had the wind blowing into a lane. I had a buck come directlyunder my tree and get into that same lane. The bucks noseraised and I'm sure he was busting me. But I knew where the scent was being blown andI let him have it the secondhe raised his nose. If I would have waited at all he would have been gone.
Those are two SOLID points.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Windfloaters. I like to see what's going on when they get out away from the stand.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really feel this is the heart of the matter. Especially in hunting trails and lanes. I feel open woods can be a lot more tricky, as I have watched the wind floaters go out 150yds andmake a 45 deg turn and then go straight in that direction out of sight. In open woods, these thermals that you see causing the floater to change directions a certain distance away from you can really educate you on what "might" happen if a deer comes from that direction. This also applies to low-lying areas where the wind can bounce off a ridge or knoll and go back the way it came from.

Thanks BobCo. Very good points.

LT