Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok...Fess up to your biggest....

Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ok...Fess up to your biggest....

Mine is short & sweet. Buck fever 100% I put the 30yd pin on a big 8pt that appeared out of nowhere at 8 yds and at a 30* angle from my treestand. After I triggered the release I wanted to either cry or start punching myself in the face. Instead i shook my head smiled and said to myself 'what a rush' this is why I luv bowhunting!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Had a 150" deer within 15 yards.

He came in with a presumably hot doe and stopped for a brief moment on the other side if a thicket. I was at full draw with a 4" circle to shoot through perfectly on his vitals. I can easily make the shot. Don't know for sure if it qualifies as a 'choke' or just acting on the safe side. I say I acted safely.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly a choke moment, but funny none the less. Had a mature doe walk up to about 5yds while I was doing the #2 backed up to a big pine tree. I carefully reached my gun(12 Gauge 00buck) and eased it up to my shoulder, she stopped, I shot, she ran 50 yds into a creek, game over. I sat my gun back down, finished my business and collected my backstraps.[:-]

LT
Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had spotted a Nice buck bedded down next to a highway here in michigan. It was bedded on public land I slammed on the breaks parked off a side road and began a 3 hour stock I got to within about 40 yards took my boots off and got within about 25 yards but couldnt see him through the brush instead of just waiting him out I grunted a couple times and he jumped up and took off without even thinking twice about stopping... turns out it was a perfect 6X6 with about a 21 inch spread massive as all hell and probably mid to upper 160's. very sad day. But in all good news hes still alive saw him 3 weeks after the season. so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Saying.....I Do!

Just last fall I was bow hunting in PA. After three days of fine tuning my stand location and seeing six bucks (3 shooters). It was my last morning before having to head back to NH and I was pretty excited about my morning hunt. Pulled up to the property around 5:15 am and started to get ready.First thing I did wasturn off my phone and put it my fannypack along with my keys. Gotall my gear on and grabbed my bow and started up the hill to my stand. About 20 yards from my truck I realized I was missing something........my fanny pack!

Sittingin my drivers seat was my fanny pack....with my release and all my accessories including my phone and truck keys[:@] I never got in the woods that morning and didn't get in my truck until 8am. I decidednot to head home until after my evening hunt which was another mistake. While at my truck taking off my Scent Blocker suite and gear, I lost my phone. Drove half way back to my Dads farm before I realized it and went I went back I found it right where I parked. Only bad part was thatI ended up running it over while backing out[:@]
Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to laugh, but that's funny!It's sooo easy to figure the right way to have done things, after the fact! And speaking of that, here's a good one.
I shared this not long ago, but here it is again. Last year I'm sitting in my stand a I'm listening to the squirrels rustling in the leaves. I usually look each time to make shore it's not a deer because at times they can sound similar. Anyway it gets to the point where I'm tired of looking, only to see another squirrel.
A short while later I hear a slight rustling again, only this time it's quite close to me (10yrds). So I turn (too quickly) to look, thinking it's just another tree rat. But it's not! It's a nice10pt, for my area anyway. He see's me move, turns and BOLTSthe other direction!!
That was thebest buck I've ever seen in my area in 6 years of hunting
there! Oh well, that's what happens when you get lazy and break the rules. Always turn veeeeeery sloooooowly to look at things.
exact thing happened to me two years ago first year bow hunting. i had just got permission from a guy that i know to hunt his 80 arces a month before bow hunting i was out here almost every weekend looking for the prime spot to put a stand. i finally found the spot. Opening morning of bow hunting i got out there about an hour before light. i got just to where i could see maybe 30 yards infront of me. maybe an hour went by and i have been seeing squirrels all morning and i heard some rustling from my left and i didnt look at first because i didnt care about it at that point in time, i just figured i was another squirrel. but i heard some more rustling and finally i looked and there stood a buck maybe about 130-140 class 8 point deer. i turned back as slow as possible to see if i could keep him there so i could get a shot. i grabbed my bow i turned around and he was gone. the next weekend i got out there and i moved my stand a little bit to see if i could get another shot at this deer. i saw him again. and i did, i got a shot at him that tim but missed. and that is my bone head move. getting a second chance with a nice deer. still to this day i talk to the people around my land and people see him but never get a chance at him. never got a chance at him last year...so hopefully i will get a shot at him this year.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Last fall, i had two big boys come out feeding on some soybeans, i would say the larger of the two was in the 170's. they were about 300 yards away across the field. I pulled out my buck growl and hit it hard, they both looked my way and started in my direction, about half way they stopped and started feeding again, so i growled again, the smaller, buck, still in the high 150's came with in 15 yards and was pacing back and forth staring into the tree line were i was, i was on the ground behind a few trees, the larger buck stayed just out past what i felt comfortable shooting, 40 yards. that smaller buck gave me every chance i needed, i would come to draw but kept thinking the big one will come in any time, i slowly let it down , drew again and waited as long as i could, let it down, the smaller buck has now gone to my right and the big boy just cuts the angle and never gave me a shot. btw, i ate tag soup last year, hunted that big buck exclusively, saw him 3 more times but never got another chance. maybe this year...............
Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

My brain dead moment...

I stalk a very nice buck in velvet. All I needed was one more step to the side to clear some brush for a shot. He busted me. He wasn't sure what I was so he circled half ways around me. He walked up close straight on, I passed not like the shot.

Fast forward about a week. Tyler and I snuck into the area to see if we could see him again. He showed up and was out of velvet now. Tyler was sitting 30 yards away from me and got the show of his life when the buck feed right in front of him a few minutes. Tyler hadalready shot a buck so he was just there to watch. He finally started working his way to me but he didn't look so big now out of velvet. Figured he would go 135 - 140 and since it was early I was shooting for 150 or better. [&:] I passed up a 25 yard broadside shot and watched him amble off.

Fast forward to the end of bowseason when I ate my tag. I had seen him the day beforebow seasonended so was glad he made it. Life is still good at this point.

Fast forward to spring whenTyler found his shed by his very dead body. I was kicking myself now. Tyler found the other shed the next spring. The buck grossed 152. Opps, I lied...we just remeasured him and he grossed 149. I don't feel so bad now. []

Tim

Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

Just this last season, i had just got situated up in my stand and took my quiver off as i always do and hung it on a hook on the side of my tree. About an hour later i stood up to stretch and somehow knocked my quiver off the hook and onto the ground. I thought oh well, i still have an arrow knocked. Well about that time i hear some thrashing in the woods up ahead and two good size does show up about 30 yards out. I come to full draw and release my arrow, right over the back of the doe and into the tree behind her. The two does didn't even hardly flinch, in fact they decided that it seemed like a good spot to take an afternoon nap. I didn't want to alert them to my position so i decided to wait it out until they left before i climbed down to grab my other arrows. Well about an hour into there nap i hear more thrashing coming. Of course, it's the best looking buck that i have ever seen in these woods. At one point he was almost directly under me next to my quiver. I just wanted to grab my knife and jump down on his back and fight it out. Still makes me sick.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

After getting on a roll without missing for a few years I had a doe walking in and i said she's dead. Well she came to 5 yards and I shot under her! I was for sure she was dead before I shot! OVERCONFIDANT!! I thought all I have to do is draw back and release and I got her! That day changed me for good I NEVER let that happen again!

Quick Reply: Ok...Fess up to your biggest....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.