Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All the talk of "sign" hunting...

Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: All the talk of "sign" hunting...

I don't necessarily hunt where the majority of the sign is, but use it mainly as finding out what is in the area. As Duke says it depends on the time of season. I do hunt some sign and have been successful particularly hunting scrapes.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try and hunt funnels that lead into or out of bedding areas, this type of area is golden during the rut, the bucks will use these to access the bedding areas looking for that hot doe.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

I try and hunt funnels that lead into or out of bedding areas, this type of area is golden during the rut, the bucks will use these to access the bedding areas looking for that hot doe.
X2
Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhunter4life

My favorite place to hunt is a funnel. If I can find a funnel in my area the stuff on your list will show up on its own. I used to spend all my time stomping all over the woods looking for rubs, scrapes and everything that we were "supposed" to be hunting over. Like I said though, ever since I started hunting funnels all of these things seem to come to me
Exactly, only hunt the sign if it's in the right place.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Much rather hunt around bedding areas.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Duke.

I very rarely hunt over sign, but like duke said, I use the sign to get valuable answers that are going to help me pinpoint the location of the deer making the sign.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

To answer your question, I'd go with rub lines. They're deer highways. More so than scrapes, in my experience. Scrapes are good. Real good. Just trying to prioritize. Kind of like what's your favorite song
Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

For you guys who hunt sign.....

How (if you're NOT using trail cams) do you determine if a buck is making this sign in daylight hours v. night time? Or....do you just take a chance?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn’t call it so much as taking a chance, as it is an educated guess. And since our mature bucks are very nocturnal, it’s pretty easy to assume 90% is made at night. If it’s a field edge, or non-secluded area, I just assume night time activity and don’t bother to hunt it, but certainly like to know it’s around. Now if it’s back deeper in the woods and tight to a bedding area, I’ll take my chance that it could be day or night activity. If it’s in a travel corridor, I don’t care if it’s made day or night, as once the seek phase kicks in,(when I will actually start hunting that location) I feel that if they were traveling those areas during the night time, they will probably travel them during the day too (especially if it is a “safe” corridor).
Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter
Exactly, only hunt the sign if it's in the right place.
I agree, but I would add that if you are hunting "the right spot" then there will also be sign. Perhaps anyorall of the things you listed.

Most of the places I hunt have intersections of MAJOR trails or are on distinctive funnels. If it is a good funnel, then there will be an abundance of tracks, a worn path, something. It isn't a good funnel if the deer aren't using itFind one in/out of a thick bedding area and you could be in for some fun.

Quick Reply: All the talk of "sign" hunting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.