Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More scrapes and rubs questions

Old 06-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default More scrapes and rubs questions

I didn't want to hijack Peak's post.....but I had a couple questions I'd like for you all to answer.

We keep hearing about hunting these type sign (I don't do it).....but I don't hear people elude to something very important (or...it would be in my eyes...if I were actually hunting them).

1. Have you ever witnessed abuck working/making a scrape?
2. Have yo ever witnessed abuck making a rub?

I've seen severalbucks working scrapes, including four working the same scrape with an hour or so of one another (everythig from a 6 pointer to a BB).

I've never seen a buck make a rub. I've seen lots of rubs....just never seena buck making one.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Bartender

Default RE: More scrapes and rubs questions

I have seen both but I recall one season it was early November and for 4 days same
3 bucks came in and checked the scrape, Pissed in it and rubbed the over head branches.
This is the only time of the year I see this occur it seems.
But rubs are usually from bedding to feeding and feeding back to bedding it seems also.
I see this a lot and it is usually a lightly used trail and not on the doe trails.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Idon'tchoose a location just because there are rubs or scrapes present. I choose my spots based on terian and often there does happen to be rubsand scrapes present whereI hunt.

But to answer the question...yes, I have observed bucks working both scrabes and rubs many times...not that I think it really matters. Oviously we know that bucks are rubbing and scraping whether we actuallyobserve them doing it or not.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Idon'tchoose a location just because there are rubs or scrapes present.I choose my spots based on terian and often there does happen to be rubsand scrapes present whereI hunt.
Common ground.

But to answer the question...yes, I have observed bucks working both scrabes and rubs many times...not that I think it really matters. Oviously we know that bucks are rubbing and scraping whether we actuallyobserve them doing it or not.
Would it matter if they were doing these things at night?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seen different bucks make both at about 10 yds. I was hunting an EAB (earn a buck) zone and hadn't taken a doe yet so no shot oppurtunity.[:@]
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never actually seen it happen, but have had it happen just out of eyesight on 2 occasions. Absolutely sure the scrapes were not there when I got in my stand. Heard the deer making it both times. Just could not see thru the brush either time.

I do not hunt right over scrapes and rubs, but I will hunt near them. (20 to 40yds away) I feel that if they came thru there once, they "may" return. If they make scrapes and rubs in that area, at least one time, that area held interest to them for some reason. I will add, if I do not get any action, whether scrapes or rubs are present or not, I will be moving a short distance away.

LT
Old 06-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have witnessed both several times. Watching a deer rub is far more entertaining to me than watching them scrape.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and yes.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen both, seeing them making a rub, is one of the most exciting things i have ever seen, especcially when you see the tree getting worked, before you see the buck
Old 06-29-2008, 08:21 AM

I watched a nice 8 make a scrape once. He was dogging a doe, and she stopped to feed under a white oak. He started working a licking branch, quite vigorously actually, and made a scraped under it where he promptly peed in. In just watching that, it SEEMED to me as if it were a way to off load some aggression and frustration.

I also saw a buck make a rub once. Little spiker worked over 2 saplings pretty good. When I exited my stand that day, I went over to look at them. Yeah, he actually tore them up pretty good.

Quick Reply: More scrapes and rubs questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.