Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More scrapes and rubs questions

Old 06-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: More scrapes and rubs questions

Yes, I have witnessed both of these phonomena.Once while in Alberta, I watched a smallish buck rub a tree, then make a smallscrape at the base. I don't "hunt" this type of sign though. I believe it's too "hit or miss", no punn intended.I like to spend my time inmore consistent travel area's.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen a Spike making a rub. It was pitch black and I was already in my stand. Sounded like the woods were getting the s*%t kicked out of them right below my feet, and that was in fact the case. the spike broke 2 6foot tall saplings at the 2''diameter trunk and was letting the rest of the saplings right below my feet know who their daddy was. lol, this was my first ever time in the woods, didn't take my doe yet(stupid NJ) so that spike lived to see another day. Haven't seen it happen since, but I was a great experience for my first ever time out hunting!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. Have you ever witnessed abuck working/making a scrape?
2. Have yo ever witnessed abuck making a rub?

Yes to both questions, not only have I witnessed it, I've caused it on many occassions with calls.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen bucks working scrapes and rubs several times. The largest bucks I have seen were not stopping to rub or scrape, but they were on their feet moving around their beddings areas. Needless to say, I never got a shot at any of them....but I don't usually hunt directly over sign, but use sign to help me tighten my options down in regard to a place where I think they are coming/going from....
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen both many times over. In almost all the places I've hunted, sign goes hand in hand with travel corridors and edge areas. I don't get the whole hunting over "one or the other" debate? Maybe there are just too many deer around?

And like Rob, I have made a buck thrash up a tree every time I'd grunt at it.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never seen them work or make a scrap but last year I watched a buck destroy a tree and then I shot it!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

I never seen them work or make a scrap but last year I watched a buck destroy a tree and then I shot it!
Why would you shoot a tree? [:-]
Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, seen them both onmany occasions. Most every year I see it and alwaysconsider and implementmy hunting stratagies accordingly. It's advanced techniques involving more than Food source, Winner dipping, and night night spots.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

1. Have you ever witnessed abuck working/making a scrape?
2. Have yo ever witnessed abuck making a rub?

Yes to both questions, not only have I witnessed it, I've caused it on many occassions with calls.
Many times I've grunted at a Buck and had him to instantly stop and work a scrape or make a rub.

To be an effective Deer hunter in many areas a person really needs to learn to be flexible. Buck/Deer behavior can vary widely from one area to the next. Sometimes even only 30miles can make a big difference.

I havebeen moderately successfulby remaining flexible, aggressive, and willing todo what it takes. I have killed Bucks by watching trails, hunting funnels, calling, decoying, rattling, setting a rub line, or setting a scrape line.

Some of these methods I rarely use, and others I use quite often, but I know I have used them all with success and if the situation needs a change I'm willing and ready to try what I think might work.

The worst thing any Bowhunter can do is become so set in his methods thathe never switches it up

Dan