Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrapes and Rubs

Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scrapes and Rubs

I don't hunt rub lines but I do usethe information they provide. As far as scrapes go, if I can find a hot primary (not secondary) scrape located at what I call "Center and Main" I'll hunt it midday every chance I get just prayer to the rut.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Rubs - It helps me to know what size buck thats in the area i hunt .Buy looking at the size of the tree being rubed, and if there's a tree right behind it does the bucks antlers touch it.And with rubs being near my stand i know once pre-rut starts he'll be coming threw on one of the many trails i have going past my stand.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only rub I will hunt is one of those huge rubs that get used year after year. The rest are way too hit and miss for me. Finding true rub lines seems to be harder and harder for me to find. They do give you travel routes and direction. A good one will tell you where he's bedding. I pay attention to the type of tree and size of tree he rubs. Then you can find where he goes by finding his other rubs scattered around the area. Even if its a mile or more away. I also study the marks on the rub. every bucks rack is different and his rub is like a fingerprint. I also pay attention to whats behind the rub. A tree on the other side can give me an idea how long his tines are. I also love to hunt a rub line early in the season. He is still more predictable at that time. I like hunting rub lines on overcast or light rainy evenings. They tend to move a little earlier on those evenings.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't generally put too much faith in either. I see rubs everywhere at most of my spots. Coincidently they are mostly where the deer travel anyways. Isolating a specific rub line is very difficult. I might get a little excited over a BIG rub, but I'm not likely to sit over top of it.
Scrapes are another thing that doesn't work out much for me. We get a lot of little scrapes here and there. However, if I would find a BIG active scrape that is being worked during that late pre-rut time, I will hunt it or fairly close to it. I just rarely find those.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

The only rub I will hunt is one of those huge rubs that get used year after year. The rest are way too hit and miss for me. Finding true rub lines seems to be harder and harder for me to find. They do give you travel routes and direction.
Well said. It's hard to just up and decide to hunt a rub line that appears one afternoon.

With that being said there is one particular transition area on our property in which several rub lines intertwine and intersect each other, obviously made by multiple bucks.

Its like magicman said, until I'm sure its a proven rub line, I'm not going to hunt it because bucks make rubs out of frustration as well and what you think may be a rub line may be ina location that buck won't return to that particular hunting season.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Bartender

I hear you Mike and I agree especially on public but on that private I hunt a couple same lines every year and I believe its the 2 I have on cam.

T
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Depends.

Location of such sign.. time of year.. LOCATION of such sign.

Sorry T.. impossible Q to answer for myself.[8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will hunt clusters of fresh rubs,because that tells me the maker is spending some time in that area,typically close to his bedding area (an area where he stages).I will follow a rub line back to bedding area's if I can because that's where I feel I will get the best crack at the buck making the rub's.I don't see many text book rub lines in my home area.
The amount of sign and the extent of the sign would indicate how and ifI would hunt it and where I would hunt it.If the scrapes or rubs are in close in proximity to a bedding area that in my opinion would make it more worth while to hunt and likely more predictable.