Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camo Fading?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camo Fading?

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

And what type of material would that be Dan?

LT
There are several good choices. Cotton being probably one of the worst. Different clothing manufactures call material different things, but I'll generalize for simplicity. My Choices are as follows:
1. Wolfskin, this stuff is nothing short of awesome. I have 2 outfits. Uninsulated and insulated, one is 6 plus years old and has been washed countless times but yet shows no signs of fading.
2. Saddle cloth
3. Fleece, only thing I hate about fleece are the stick tites, and burrs.
There are others, and mainly stay away from the cheapo cotton camo. It has always faded on me very quickly.

The Wolfskin has been the best I've used.

Dan
Old 06-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Dan, the all cotton garments lose their color a lot quicker.

I have the Predator Fall Gray/Brown in Saddle Cloth as well as Spring Green. No problems with it fading. Also have the Skyline Apparition in Saddlecloth, no fading.

I also purchased the Predator Bibs and Insulated coat for cooler temp's. I am not sure what it is made of. Maybe Poly/Cotton blend? It shows no signs of fading either.

The problem I am having is finding Predator in a durable early season material that will not fade. The Saddle cloth is ok, just a little warmer than I care for. Any ideas?

Thanks, LT
Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

I agree Dan, the all cotton garments lose their color a lot quicker.

I have the Predator Fall Gray/Brown in Saddle Cloth as well as Spring Green. No problems with it fading. Also have the Skyline Apparition in Saddlecloth, no fading.

I also purchased the Predator Bibs and Insulated coat for cooler temp's. I am not sure what it is made of. Maybe Poly/Cotton blend? It shows no signs of fading either.

The problem I am having is finding Predator in a durable early season material that will not fade. The Saddle cloth is ok, just a little warmer than I care for. Any ideas?

Thanks, LT
In a word "Wolfskin" It's great for early season and not terribly expensive when you order it unlined, and uninsulated. It will last you for many seasons to come.

Dan
Old 06-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dan.

Anyone else here have experience with Wolfskin in early season temp's? (75 to 90 degrees)

Thanks, LT
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM

Turn your garments inside out when washing and air dry them in the shade. Then store them in air tight bags with a few leaves squeeze the air out and seal.

Wash only when needed. During the season hang your clothes outside as much as possible between trips. If bad weather store worn clothes in air tight bags with the baking soda use the ones which open and have a liner to keep the baking soda in the box. Always wear clean socks. Rotate your hunting boots and put a baking soda container in them between trips close off the tops with an old plastic bag.

Wear rubber gloves while handling anything that a deer can put his nose against tree steps, scent bombs, etc. Put your bow string up in the stand if hunting from a tree.

All this helps, but unfortunately it is not fool proof.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turn the clothing inside out,wash it in cold water,hang dry it instead of putting it in the dryer.Use Atsko sports wash. These are the things I do.
I completely agree about the fabrics you buy also.I think most of us will be faded and gone before Wolfskin is.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

There are some good suggestions, but over the years I have learned it is best to purchase hunting clothes made from material that is not prone to fading.

It has worked well for me

Dan
There it is