Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

I know that I havent really paid much attention to this but it seems that deer and their yellow-grey sight see us as a glowing blue light...and twice as much with blaze orange.

Im definately buying some UV-killer for my camo, stands, backpack, etc.

This is an interesting video clip that scared the crap out of me. http://link17.streamhoster.com/?u=atskoinc&p=%2FMEDIUM.wmv&odaid=6421. It seems that 99% of all cotton cloth witha camo print, no matter the manufacturer, glows bright blue to a deer. The blaze orange is up to twice the (blue) brightness because the manufacturer brightens up the material with UV dye to brighten the orange.

Does anyone have any pro's or con's to this new study of whitetail vision?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

I watched the video. However,I'm skeptical about some ofthe information presented in it.He mentions that we are most visible during low light conditions. I want to know why I'm never spotted in my stand, while I know deer are looking in my direction. If we stick out as he says we do, why aren't these deer spooked? Even if I'm not moving, giving off scent that they could detect, or making noise, they should still spook if what he say's is true. Doesn't this make sense?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Camo clothes worked just fine for years and years before anyone ever heard of deer being able to see UV. So, my opinion? It's an overblown scare tactic to sell a product. I mean really. The 'study' was done by the people that manufacturer UV killer? Says so right there in the clip, and they are sponsors of the 'Whitetail University' show. You're not going to get anything from them except sponsor propaganda. C'mon, dude!

Look for independent sources of info, not advertising claptrap. And make sure those independent sources have done their own research and are not parroting manufacturer claims. And make sure you wash your hunting clothes in a detergent that has no perfumes or UV brighteners. That's all you need to worry about. In my opinion, naturally.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thestudy of whitetail vision is hardly new. The tests that this company performed did not cover nearly enough variables. Two of the most thorough tests where completed by the University of Texas in 77", and again by Michigan State University in 85".The tests used both wild and pen raised whitetails in a controlled and a "semi-controlled" location. Both tests proved that the whitetail could make correct responses to UV treated material. Correct reponses to the many different colors occured as frequently as 95 percent of the time.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

deleted. Clicked the wrong freakin' button. [&:]
Old 06-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry DT, I'm going with Arther P on this one. I've had too many deer very close, too many times, and not had them spook when IKNOW they were looking in my direction. From what this freak says, I should have stuck out like a sore fricking thumb!! Didn't happen.He's another hand job trying to sell a product the way I see it.
I simplyput my camo through a regular wash cycle with baking soda only, and air dry. I think a dryer beats things up too much. My clothes hang outside until I go hunting. When I do go hunting, everything gets a good spray down with Scent Killer non scented formula only. That's howI roll!!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in
He's another hand job trying to sell a product the way I see it.
ORIGINAL: early in
When I do go hunting, everything gets a good spray down with Scent Killer non scented formula only.
LOL. Nothing like a good ol' fashion Theory vs. Tested Science thread to start the weekend.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:38 AM
New Sheriff

Hook...

Line...

Sinker...

Quick Reply: being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.