Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

Old 07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

Just as the sun sets the visible part of the spectrum rapidly diminishes and the effects of the UV spectrum become more noticable. as far as the Atsko product goes it is a very reasonably priced detergent that I believe was around before they started promoting it for hunters, I remember using it to was down clothes and sleeping bags. It came recommended from the manufacturers beacuse it rinses out leaving no residue on the down which would affect the lofting properties. Same reason it's good for hunting. ( I do use baking soda a lot too)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

That is why I have heard that the UV spectrum is different at different times of days. Perhaps this is why some hunters agree or disagree with the effects it may have on their clothing. They may have had different results depending on the time of day or cover in the woods. I have covered all my gear, clothes, slings, and stands...so at least that part of my game is covered...whether they can see it or not.

At least I can feel comfortable that my stuff isnt going to be noticed by a deer, predator, or any blacklights that may be wondering through the woods!

If it is something I should not be worried about, as some have proclaimed, for the $10it costs me I am that much closer to total concealment.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Spike

I believe 100% in the UV theory. The first year I started back deer hunting (after a 20 year break) I got into the area I intended to hunt (pine thicket) an hour before daylight. A bright full moon was out. I was wearing a pair of camoflauge Lee jeans and a camo sweatshirt. My pants were glowing like a neon light in the light of the full moon whereas the sweatshirt appeared completely black. (Note that the light reflected from a full moon is UV-blue) Had a doe & yearling come in around 8 am and bust me (hunting on the ground back against tree) So I move into the bushes for better concealment. Around 4 pm another doe came in, looked in my direction and immediatly saw me. The weather had turned into a gray drizzly afternoon with low light conditions, exactly the conditions that UV reflection shows up best. And now you know the whole story.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Baybuzzard

I believe 100% in the UV theory. The first year I started back deer hunting (after a 20 year break) I got into the area I intended to hunt (pine thicket) an hour before daylight. A bright full moon was out. I was wearing a pair of camoflauge Lee jeans and a camo sweatshirt. My pants were glowing like a neon light in the light of the full moon whereas the sweatshirt appeared completely black. (Note that the light reflected from a full moon is UV-blue) Had a doe & yearling come in around 8 am and bust me (hunting on the ground back against tree) So I move into the bushes for better concealment. Around 4 pm another doe came in, looked in my direction and immediatly saw me. The weather had turned into a gray drizzly afternoon with low light conditions, exactly the conditions that UV reflection shows up best. And now you know the whole story.
I'll bet that if you were in your tree saddle you wouldn't have gotten picked off!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what is consensus from this thread? Wash our stuff in UV killer detergent?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Spike

Early in----
Anudder good un. In that case I really wudda ben "a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out" swingin from de tree. You's n me's gonna have lots o fun.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

I know that I havent really paid much attention to this but it seems that deer and their yellow-grey sight see us as a glowing blue light...and twice as much with blaze orange.

Im definately buying some UV-killer for my camo, stands, backpack, etc.

This is an interesting video clip that scared the crap out of me. http://link17.streamhoster.com/?u=atskoinc&p=%2FMEDIUM.wmv&odaid=6421. It seems that 99% of all cotton cloth witha camo print, no matter the manufacturer, glows bright blue to a deer. The blaze orange is up to twice the (blue) brightness because the manufacturer brightens up the material with UV dye to brighten the orange.

Does anyone have any pro's or con's to this new study of whitetail vision?
A glowing blue light with the sky as a back ground. I didn't know I blended in that well!

What do they see when they look at the uv filled sky?

I heard most camo isn't made with uv dyes.

Most paint only goesdown to a "flat" sheen. Camo paint goes to "ultra flat". If there's a reason for that then good camo would be very dull.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P, very intelligent post, love reading good stuff like that. There are so many ways to disect the UV debate it could be an endless one. Scent, wind, movement and matching yourpattern background are the real "get busted" issues IMO. The UV brightnersin camo mainly comes from thedye and or ink, not the fabric unless its been dyed or pre washed in a UV detergent prior to printing the pattern. Coming directly from my textile company, less UV means the inks will not last as long on the fabric, more UV makes the inks more steadfast in the fabric. I have lots of fabric printed in the US and if they usecertain dyes with UV brightners its no different than getting stuff printed in China if they use UV brightners or wash it in a UV brightenting detergent. Im not an expert on deer vision, but for the cost of the Atsko product, less than $20, it certainly cant hurt if you feel its worth the cost. I spend so much money on all kinds of hunting gadgets, the cost of UV wash is minimal in comparison to most of them.If I was getting bustedfrequently I wouldnt hesitate to try it, because every little bit helps. Although,my camo pattern has been pretty darn good to me, even after being busted moving which we tested for 3 years, thats when the vertical bark pattern really messes with the deers vision and their head, they just cant figure it out
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hook...

Line...

Sinker...
Best answer yet!!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Spike

In my previous post I relayed my first experience with UV reflection. Time for some elaboration. It was several years later that I finally decided to put my hunting clothes to the test using a black light. I was shocked with the results, and thinking back on the times I got easily picked off, I was wearing the clothes that reflected UV light. At the time I was hunting primarily in pine thickets, close quarters, on the ground. I would actually hide inside of bushes sometimes, yet be picked off immedieatly. Other times I've had mature bucks within10 yards of me in the open making rubs & scrapes and never knew I was there. So now days I wear hunting clothes that do not reflect UV light. I own piles of hunting clothes- different patterns- different materials- different manufacturers. Shine a black light on them, some appear completely black, others will just about blind you. The only real offender is clothing made of cotton. The worst I own is Fusion 3D T-shirts (available at Walmart) & Predator Deception (from Predator themselves). Anything made of polyester does not reflect UV, but I don't care for it because it appears shiney. Polyester fleece is great however because it refracts light (breaks it up). Wool is the best of all as it refracts light the best, but too hot down here in south Alabama. By the way, I did purchase a bottle of that UV Killer. Never used it. Probably never will. and I don't advocate purchasing the stuff.
A side note- those pictures they show illustrating UV glow...the T shirtthe man iswearing is Fusion 3D- the absolute worst I've seen at reflecting UV. The Fusion 3D pants are great- completely black under a black light. That's the pants I wear all the time, and the pants the man is wearing in the photo. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quick Reply: being a glow dope in a tree all camo'ed out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.