Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just Some Ramblings About Hunting With Friends.....

Old 06-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just Some Ramblings About Hunting With Friends.....

Although bowhunting is really a solo match up, one thing I do love as well is the walk in and the walk out with a good friend. Of course, if you share my woods with me, you hunt the way I hunt, you clean up the way I clean up, you do what I do because this is how I hunt my woods. I'm not closed for suggestions but I don't accept sloppiness. The same goes if I'm honored enough to share you woods. I'll respect your woods, I'll hunt the way you do, I'll listen to you and I won't mess it up. It's your woods and I respect it as well as you sharing it with me. I might offer suggestions as well but in the end, if you want me in that tree, that's where I'll go.

I've been honored to share the woods with great friends, many I've now met on HNI and shared their woods and I have plans to share others as well as have others share mine. There is something about our passion that brings us all together be it in the woods, at the local shops or on HNI. Hell, look at all of us and our passion and what it sometimes gets us. No matter where we go, what we do, we will never agree with one another on every aspect because we're individuals but the one thing that does bring us all together is the love for what it is we do do.

And it took the big man to remind us all of that. There are very few here that I wouldn't share my woods with and it's not because they are bad bowhunters, hell just the opposite for many.

When push comes to shove, I honestly think those who oppose one another on a daily basis would actually shine together when sharing the hunt but for many, we'll never ever know.

BigJ, hell of a great post and I'm glad to see Greg / MO stamped it with a HRAOP (Honorary Rack Award for Outstanding Post). Carry on you pricks.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I needed to read and thank you Big J for taking the time to post it. Family and friends are what it is all about and too many times I have lost sight of that. The deer will be forgotten but the memories made will never be forgotten.

We lost Dad this Jan. to cancer and this huntingseason will probably be the hardest.....I know that. Although he did not get to hunt much in 06 and 07, we could stll share stories, and he could still make his recomendations....that were always spot on by the way.

We will not have any of that this year but we will carry what he taught us and pass it down to our sons and daughters..... My brother and I are now the "go to guys"..I hope I can live up.

Hunting to me would be less than special if friends and family were not a part of it!

Lump in my throat hell........I'm wiping away tears..................
Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

First let me say I am glad you enjoy hunting with others and are willing to share.

I don't like a crowd and a lot stems from being a part of it in my earlier years during rifle season. Deer drives were the big thing and stillare somewhat. You walked your ass off only to have the posters argue who was going to tag the deer they shot. [:'(] Keep in mind party hunting is illegal here. I like hunting legal so I bounce from one group to the next hoping to find a group that could do it right. Never did and there usually were a fewunsafe idiots and slobs in every group. Itook tothe bowhunting ways and startedhunting solo and never looked back with the execption of giving up a weeked to help the boss.

I do enjoy hunting with others but I am very picky on who it is. Usually just one person at a time... never a group. I will share my spots ( even my best spots ), help them cut up their deer if they want and open my house to them if they aren't from the immediate area.

The reason I love bowhunting is becausethe huntis a solo endeavor. You get away from everyone and everything. It is peaceful.

Tim

Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nicely put.
Back in the day we use to have a 4-6 person hunting group and it was fun. That faded fast for various reasons and now I'm pretty much flying solo every hunt. My dad still gets out for a few, but he's really lost the drive over the years.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Rob.....as we've talked about this, before. If you hunt like I do....there's a really good chance you'd be welcome in my woods.

When I hunt with friends....I've hunted near them and also where I couldn't see them. I prefer the former......because being in a tree 10yds away from Frank (last year when he shot that doe).....was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, while hunting.

I've opened up my woods to more people every year. If things work out.....I'll have FIVE HNI'ers hunting here, this fall. Im looking forward to it.

I don't think the solitary thing is bad, either. Everyone hunts for their own reasons. I may not understand theirs.....but that doesn't mean anything. They likely feel like we who share our woodsare "odd". I can see both sides.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I've been very fortunate in my life. I've been sharing the woods for over 10 years now with good friend Justin Zarr. And we usually have a blast together just doing nothing but hunting.. staying at strange hotels in po-dunk towns.. and meeting some of the oddest people all along the way. It's always been fun for us whether we're killing deer or usually.. not.

I've hunted with the big man.. Todd Graf and his craziness. We'll be like 2 miles from our stands.... slowly... creeping.... in.

I've shared woods with Dr Andy and his 1 piece camo jumpsuit (seriously dr A.. that suits like 8 years old man).

I've hunted with my now current wife and her unbelievable way of making me laugh hysterically in stand.

Christine's ex.. Jimbo. Good times always with him. You took him away from me Christine..[:@]

Justin's pa.. Terry. An old school hunter who just likes to take down anything. Always lookin' for a "crack" at something. He still shoots a bow almost as old as me.. with like uncut 2318 aluminum arrows. It's like a log! I feel sorry for the animal he shoots with them!

Rookie hunter Jeremy.. who no matter how many times has been in just one stand.. still has trouble finding it in the dark.

And I look forward to hunting with the Kenosha Killer.. Mr. Fraley this fall. He's alright in my book. The definition of a Wisconsin-ite.

Love to hunt with more one day. Maybe someday I will. Good post BigJ would hunt with you anyday.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Love to hunt with more one day. Maybe someday I will. Good post BigJ would hunt with you anyday.
I'm looking forward to hunting with you and Justin this fall bud....the check and paperwork are in the mail.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yuppers Big J, your the man, I always look forward to reading your take/perspective on things. Great post.

For me I like both.. both sharing my mountains with others and hunting solo, I like a mix I guess. I figured I've been blessed to have such diverse hunting opportunities here in Idaho that the last thing I want to do is be stingy. When Itake guys hunting, I dont hold out on em, I put em in the best spots I've scouted and know of. I figure what comes around, goes around in this short life.The best feelings come fromdowning a critter I have been after orseeing a friends smile after he's killed something in my woods, they are both very rewarding, the memories last a lifetime and more because the storys get passed down through generations. Life is about the relationships we form/make.. whats on the wall is the bonus and constant reminder of great hunting memories.

Dan have fun with Justin and Mike, wish I could have swung it with youthis fall.. hopefully in the future!

Big J, youralways welcome at my campfire.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking forward to hunting with you and Justin this fall bud
I look forward as well.

To bad Shed couldn't make it.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My door is always open. For me, sharing the experience is the most enjoyable part. It's funny, I would rather help someone else get something. Getting something on my own always seems to take care of itself, and it's not half the challenge.

Great post Jim!