Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to know what you guys think....

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Default RE: I want to know what you guys think....

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Think of how many people shoot deer and dont check them in because its a far drive to the check in station/shop. With gas prices as high as they are now, I bet more and more hunters will not be checking in deer.
With Pa planning on having internet check in, maybe it will help in getting somewhat more accurate harvest results in the future. Maybe not though. People are basically lazy, and many are dishonest![:@][:'(][>:]
IMHO....I also believe internet/phone options for check in's will help in better reporting. I know some on here don't feel that way, but I can't really see where that type of system would hurt.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also feel that our numbers are not true because of poaching and folks not checking deer in. Not sure of 10,000, but skewed nontheless.

I have not seen a game wardenduring hunting season in well over 10 years. They are understaffed and just don't have the manpower to make a difference.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

VA would be off by 50,000-100,000 if the poachers were included.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO....I also believe internet/phone options for check in's will help in better reporting. I know some on here don't feel that way, but I can't really see where that type of system would hurt.
I'm open to hear why you think this? IMO it's only making it easier for the law-breakers. I lived in KY and they have the phone in system. I found that the bag limits and buck/doe kills are "whatever" the caller says......I cna't imagin e this system in WV where poaching is already a huge problem, but honestly I'm open to hear your thoughts..........
Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I'm open to hear why you think this? IMO it's only making it easier for the law-breakers. I lived in KY and they have the phone in system. I found that the bag limits and buck/doe kills are "whatever" the caller says......I cna't imagin e this system in WV where poaching is already a huge problem, but honestly I'm open to hear your thoughts..........
I realize that Wv has a problem with poaching, but people who do that type of thing most likely would not use a new system anyway. Another thought is that I can't remember a time a person came out and checked what I shot. But I know many landowners who would welcome it. Why take deer off your farm to bring it right back orwhy dirty up the truck. Think of the savings in waste or money. It could add a few jobs for Wv. I would use it for sure, sometimes I have to drive for 10-20minutes to find a station. I understand tradition, but, imho the good out weighs the bad....anything that helps hunters like me and you I'm for. Will poaching increase....I haveno idea, but I can't image why it would be any different than what is going on already. I do think reporting would increase, do to it being so simple. Would you use a new system if it was an option?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see your points WV and understand where you are coming from, but with my experience in the telecheck system is it offers more opportunity for thegroup of people "in the middle" that would do something illegal if they knew they could get away with it.

It makes it easy imo to not have a doe tag, or a buck tag, however kill whatever you want and call it is as the other? I am not talking about the spotlighters or the guys that are just plain old outlaws, I am talking about the guys in the middle that will push it to the limit and try it..... if they think it's easy to get away with. I think our numbers will not only be even more invalid, we will not be seeing the proper number of does and buck killed each year.

You make a valid point re: the farmers/landownersthough.........

Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just think the easier they make it to report a kill, the "more likely" someone would be to indeed report it. It makes me feel better thinking this way.Perhaps it is just wishful thinking.[:@]
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 PM

@early in

If you make it easier, maybe you will get a few more people to report kills. In NC, where I live now after growing up in PA, you "have" to call a number to report your deer.

The fact is, though,until states start strengthening the penalties, many a-holes will continue to disregard the laws and poach animals.