Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad winter = bad antler growth?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad winter = bad antler growth?

LIke critr-Gitr mentioned the cold weather probably has a lot to do with it. Not only doesit physically drain the whitetail it can do the same thing to browse and other forage, when they get a later start or stressed startwhile they do still grow many are sapped of vital nutrients/minerals for some time.

I thought this was interesting as well:

(from: Herd Stress Management)

"Over several decades of hunting and managing deer, I've come to realize just how insidious stress is in a herd. It can affect size, behavior, health and even survival. Stress can and does result in smaller, less healthy deer that are more vulnerable to predation, sickness, parasites, disease and death.

What is stress? For our purposes, we'll define it as a condition wherein the animal's potential to grow, function and survive is impaired.

And what can cause stress in whitetails? Several things. One, of course, is a prolonged period of extreme cold or heat. Under such conditions, the introduction of other complicating factors, such as feral dogs, predators or even something as benign as cattle, can quickly take a toll on deer. The effects of extreme cold and deep snow are well known and can even detrimentally alter a herd's social and behavioral patterns."

From another sourceTeam Whitetail Fanatic Resource Center)

"In whitetails, a restricted diet has been found to cause bucks to shed
their antlers early. It has been suspected that the lack of adequate
nutrition somehow affects testosterone output. Nutritionally-stressed
bucks may also grow their antlers and shed their velvet later. Older-aged bucks are thought to shed their antlers earlier than younger bucks. It has also been reported that higher-ranked (more dominant) bucks cast their antlers sooner than lower-ranked (subordinate) bucks."

Hopefully in your case they are just starting a little late and with some rain and good greenery to eat they will start getting all the nutrients/minerals they need.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

Tony,

A hard winter could definitely be a contributing factor. Even if they are getting good nutrition now, if they started off deeper in the hole, nutritionally speaking, than they have in previous years, then you could very well see a difference. There is even research out there that shows the nutrtion a deer recieves the year it is born is as important to antler growth as the nutrition the deer recieves in the year the antlers were actually grown. So you might could be seeing some differences due to a different age class of deer also. My vote would be hard winter though.
I agree. If you starve yourself your body begins to consume itself. A deer will build up it's body first and antlers second.
I wonder though, If good food during the antler growth stage can offset that. Or if time lost is time lost.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I asked this same question of some of my Canadian friendsvia the internet. I was concerned with the large amounts of snow and very cold temps that Alberta experiencedtowards the end of the last Winter.[:@]I was told no need for worry, that's why they grow so big up there, to be able to deal with the nasty weather they so often get. That made me feel better!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I asked this same question of some of my Canadian friendsvia the internet. I was concerned with the large amounts of snow and very cold temps that Alberta experiencedtowards the end of the last Winter.[:@]I was told no need for worry, that's why they grow so big up there, to be able to deal with the nasty weather they so often get. That made me feel better!
Hey Early, You asked a while back about your guide and sitting all day. What did you decide?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Harsh winters and reduced foods certainly do effect antler growth. All other things being equal, the severe winter takes a toll. First and foremost mother nature takes to repairing the body muscle and mass, and then antler developement. Not a stupid question at all. Genetics and all that still play a part in the equation.... but the body must be fixed first to reach maximum antler developement.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Hey Early, You asked a while back about your guide and sitting all day. What did you decide?
Yes, someone elsealso askedme about this recently.I like to handle such matters in person, as I believe it has a more effective result. SoI'll ask if my request can be accommodated when I get up there. If he would rather it not be, it won't be a problem at all.I'mgoing to kill a MONSTER either way!Thanks for asking Magic.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Bartender

Thank you all for your valuable input on this and reaffirmed my thoughts on this.
Just this past June 16th on my way to work for the 3rd shift right by the road was a fawn legs just a wobbling and the mother licking it.
Everything running late around here.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:33 PM

As far as the Canadian deer are concerned, they are big to survive the cold better. The smaller ones did not survive as well, which left the big ones. Larger body=greater amount ofcore body heat persurface area=less heatloss=greater efficiency. A deers body will burn protien to make heat to keep itself alive if it needs to. Protien burned for survival is protien that is not available to provide growth and improve body condition. It is a biological principle that applies to most species, not just deer. Desert animals are usually much smaller, because it helps them shed heat easier, and thus survive better in the extreme heat.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

As far as the Canadian deer are concerned, they are big to survive the cold better. The smaller ones did not survive as well, which left the big ones. Larger body=greater amount ofcore body heat persurface area=less heatloss=greater efficiency. A deers body will burn protien to make heat to keep itself alive if it needs to. Protien burned for survival is protien that is not available to provide growth and improve body condition. It is a biological principle that applies to most species, not just deer. Desert animals are usually much smaller, because it helps them shed heat easier, and thus survive better in the extreme heat.
Yes, this is true. They refer to it as Bergman's Law.

Quick Reply: Bad winter = bad antler growth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.