Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow slings/packs/shields

Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow slings/packs/shields

Many bowslings are extremely easy to get off your shoulder and unsnap in 5 seconds. You can probably have an arrow nocked in 15 seconds and be ready to go...I don't have a bowsling but have made a homemade one or two over the years and have never had any problems getting it off my shoulder and ready for a shot.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Bowshield. Not all the time, but when I am traveling light and going a fair distance it makes things a little easier.

http://www.polemountainoutdoors.com/index.php?page=mods/Products/itemdetail&itemid=1
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never expect to get a shot going in or out of the woods. A couple times I’ve come close, but nothing panned out. I use a bow sling when I have a lot of crap and am hiking in a long ways. Otherwise its not a big deal to carry my bow. I still put it in my pack should I get one, and have all my stuff to get out, plus a deer. They are handy then.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT,
I've killed 2 skinheads in the past 4 yrs on my way to my stand. I always have an arrow on the string and ready if I'm anywhere, where a shot may present itself. I don't see a good use for a sling in my practice, but one of those "thigh sling" things that you can rest the bottom cam in and will hold the bow sure sounds nice.
Conceded, OH.

One of tmes I mentioned having one nocked....I still busted out 6 on my way in. Could I have been MORE cautious....and gotten a shot? Who knows? I just felt it funny that was the first time I'd ever nocked one.....and it happened that day. I was also late getting to my stand, that evening. What I di, now....is go in earlier than I normally think I should....and hope that alleviates what happened that day. Just take the chance......

Your "better safe than sorry" approach has surely led to the demise of many an animal. Kudos.

Justin:

The Primos bow vest has gear pockets AND a sling to rest your bottom cam in. You could have an arrow nocked and ready....and still keep the weight off your bow carrying arm.

Me....I pack a stand and carry my clothes, safetyharness, etc...in my arms. I'm hosed....unless the deer doesn't see me.....or he's a really stupid deer.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Justin I use the Pole Mountain Bowshield and it works awesome.It has gear pockets that can carry more than most fanny packs.No I highly doubt that if a Booner was standing in front of me I would be able to get bow out in time.

http://www.polemountainoutdoors.com/index.php?page=mods/Products/itemdetail&itemid=1
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Justin, i currently have the bowbat by game plan gear courtesy of heartland bowhunter. Im yet to try it, but will give it a whirl this season. However Hunsucker and the crew were carring the spot and stalk pack that has the quiver attachment. I really liked this pack and the fact that you can carry your bow and the arrows are ready to grab. It had all kind of pockets and plenty of room. I can see myself getting one of these.
BOW BAT

SPOT AND STALK

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bloodcrik - I've looked at the Game Plan Gear stuff and my first impression was that it's noisey. The material is too rough and scratchy for my taste. If they'd make it in fleece or some sort of brushed material I'd be more inclined to get one. I really liked the look of them both, but that one thing turned me off. I hate noisey stuff. We just got in a few of those Lone Wolf "Wolf Packs" that Game Plan makes and we were not impressed. Great idea, great construction, bad choice in material.

Hunsucker, get in here! I know they probably sponsor you so you can't say anything bad about them (sellout! ) but give me your impressions after using them for a season. How were they in the cold specifically?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always hunt from a climber - so rarely am I ever walking without the stand on my back.

My way of carrying things is such that I hang my daypack on my stand, and put the stand on my back. I've got all the buckles and straps of my daypack set precisely to fit my treestand, not my back. It goes on there like a glove.

My old backpack has an external strap system that allows you to lash your bow or an extra coat to the OUTSIDE of the bag. If I've got a load to carry, I strap the bow to the bag, where it's out of sight and out of mind. I've used it a few times, mostly to carry my winter jacket when I'm trying not to sweat.

So I say NAY on the bow harness, and YAY to a backpack with a built-in bow carriage system. That way, if you don't like it - or want to use it - you're not lugging extra stuff or stuck with something totally useless.

Something like this guy.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good point Justin!! Understood. Maby some e-mails to game plan gear with suggestions would get them to thinking
Did you order my things yet?? <<Kid in candy store here
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Good point Justin!! Understood. Maby some e-mails to game plan gear with suggestions would get them to thinking
Did you order my things yet?? <<Kid in candy store here
Target is leaving our office today, and Pine Ridge is also sending your stuff today. Let me know when you get it!

Quick Reply: Bow slings/packs/shields

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.